A brief update on Covid-19 (coronavirus)
Simply Business is well prepared to deal with unprecedented events. We’re an agile business by nature – and our hiring and interview process is no exception. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, some parts of our hiring process may take a little longer than usual. Please bear with us, and rest assured that we’re happy to hear from you and receive your application.
If it looks like you could be a good fit for the role, we’ll ask you to interview on Zoom – you’ll need WiFi and a laptop, or a 4G-enabled smartphone.
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability. Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people. We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA. Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. We’re proud of our inclusive and supportive culture, and we’re passionate about creating an environment where everyone’s cultural backgrounds, skills, and perspectives are valued. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
Following the UK’s exit from the European Union, there are changes to Legal Right to Work legislation that applicants from the EU will need to be aware of.
Before 30th June 2021, EU/EEA/Swiss citizens have a legal right to work in the UK and can provide a passport as evidence of this. No visa will be required.
From 30th June 2021, EU citizens will be required to provide evidence of settled or pre-settled status in the UK as evidence of right to work. Without this, EU citizens will require a visa to work in the UK.
We need a Product Manager (Customer Engagement) to join us in London or Boston.
As a team we’re responsible for increasing customer lifetime revenue and satisfaction. At Simply Business, our product vision is “Insurance redefined – simpler, smarter and always on the side of small business”. As our customers, small business owners and landlords can expect to manage their insurance quickly and easily, online or offline. As we learn more about our customers, we can give them the user experience they need, and ensure their cover grows with their business. This requires internal and external collaboration, across multiple product areas, commercial and marketing teams.
As a Product Manager you’ll:
- be a champion for our customers, always pushing for the best service, the clearest communications and the most satisfying experiences, with the aim of forming long lasting relationships and greater lifetime value
- work with the head of product and the customer lifecycle product managers to understand problems and opportunities, and underlying assumptions to explore
- lead a product team of software engineers ensuring they have a clear mission, vision and focus
- own the backlog and share responsibility for delivery with the engineering lead
- take a global view of customer engagement, understanding each market, tailoring your approach, and recognising where opportunities in one market could benefit another
In this role you will:
- work with customer experience and data analysis experts to understand product opportunities, improve customer satisfaction, and to find and test assumptions and solutions
- identify opportunities, communicate changes and prioritise requests while working with key stakeholders across marketing, insurance product, operations and finance
- become an expert in key lifecycle metrics for customer engagement, identifying areas of biggest impact, articulating needs and expectations of business stakeholders, and contextualising those with trends in user behaviour and data analysis
- understanding the business landscape for customer success, owning and prioritising a backlog of opportunities, and driving the right pace of progress
- acting as a product discovery expert and collaborating with subject-matter experts across the UK and US to identify and validate product growth opportunities
- taking a data-driven approach and learning to work with various experimental techniques to ultimately formulate a product roadmap for the area
- developing stakeholder relationships as you cooperate with business owners on strategic initiatives
- developing a good technical understanding to deliver work efficiently and cost-effectively, whilst embracing ambiguity
communicating to engineering and product teams why we’re
- delivering changes, citing understanding of the market, competitors, data, and customer needs
- working with product managers to prioritise opportunities and to track and report on progress
What we’re looking for:
- an expert in product discovery, data, experimentation and the Build-Measure-Learn (BML) cycle
- someone with humility and empathy, who’s comfortable with ambiguity and excited to learn
- an understanding of product principles, agile methodology, and the value of a lean philosophy
- a collaborative approach to solving problems
- a willingness to challenge existing approaches and ideas while knowing how to get the most out of people and teams
strong communication and interpersonal skills
- a history of stakeholder management and decision making
- resilience and a drive to deliver outcomes over output with a focus on the customer first
- critical thinking and the ability to gather, process, synthesize and simplify complex information
- ruthless prioritisation underpinned by strong risk management and value assessment skills
- an appreciation of the complexity and power of software engineering
- an ability to weigh costs against value delivered
- the ability to command the respect of engineers and an understanding of technical best practices
- experience working with engineers on software delivery using an Agile approach to deliver results at pace
- experience facilitating and running group sessions or presenting to large groups
- experience in insurance or financial services (preferred)
- experience with successful customer satisfaction, service,
- subscription, membership or loyalty products (preferred)
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership, lifestyle pot, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
These are available to all staff from your first day. Here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day
• an automatic enrolment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
• generous holiday entitlement
• life assurance – 4 x your basic salary
• a health cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• unlimited access to 24/7 virtual GP
• bupa nurse healthline
• employee assistance programme (EAP)
• eye care vouchers
• local discounts
The fun stuff
We also have a great deal more to pick and mix from, with things like:
• a full gym membership
• lifestyle pot (a pot of cash to be used against anything you want need: well being, personal development, hobbies or childcare costs)
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave (up to 5 days)
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
• merlin pass
• taste card
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering. In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We’re trusted to get the right stuff done in the way that suits us best
We respect the uniques skills and perspective that everyone has
If we can make it simpler, we do, and if we can’t then we explain it so everyone can understand
We’re always learning, developing and improving, and helping others do the same
We lead with purpose and make things happen