Komoot helps millions of people all over the world find, plan and share adventures. We help our users discover the best hiking and biking routes, empowering them to explore more in confidence. And we’re good at it: Google and Apple have listed us as one of their Apps of the Year numerous times – and with more than 16 million users and over 100,000 five-star reviews – komoot is on its way to becoming the most popular cycling and hiking app worldwide.
Join our fully remote team and change the way people explore with us.
About the role
You’ll team up with two world class routing engineers to form a dedicated Routing team. You’ll dive deep into new markets to understand their local cycling infrastructure, road surface classification and trail difficulty rating and combine all these insights and many more into clear requirements that are ready to be implemented.
You’ll work on projects like adjusting our routing rules to take into account local traffic regulations or incorporating unique data sources like popularity data to find the most scenic roads for every sport. Together you’ll build up a system to gather continuous feedback from our users and use these insights to validate changes in our routing algorithms.
At komoot we want to make great adventures accessible to everyone… and welcome all prospective applicants.
Ready for your next adventure?
What you will do
- Lead the development and optimization of our routing engine for all our different sports and international markets.
- Talk to our users to understand different routing nuances for each sport type and country.
- Gather large scale quantitative routing insights with help from A/B tests, rating surveys and user feedback.
- Translate your research results into structured routing requirements.
- Work with experienced routing engineers to build a system of routing quality metrics to validate routing improvement hypotheses in a robust and data-driven way.
- Work closely together with our data scientists and engineers on incorporating data sources like elevation data and popularity (heatmap) data.
- Develop a long term routing strategy and manage the product roadmap to get there.
- Work together with other product squads on large features where routing plays a key role.
Why you will love it
- You’ll change the way people explore the outdoors worldwide and your work will result in millions of happy faces and countless adventures.
- You’ll work on a product that you use yourself on a daily basis, seeing the direct impact of your work when you go for your next ride.
- You’ll work on the cutting edge of routing technology bringing together engineering, data science & machine learning.
- You’ll lead a high performing team of experienced routing engineers on a shared mission to provide the best possible routing for every sport type.
- You’ll take ownership of your projects from day one, moving things forward, shaping the processes and choosing the tools you need to do your best work.
- This is a remote role on a remote team where open feedback, new ways of working and thinking out of the box is not only encouraged but expected.
- We let you work from wherever you want, be it a beach, the mountains, a co- working space (covered by us) or our headquarters in Potsdam. Anywhere that lies between the time zones UTC-1 and UTC+3.
- You’ll become part of a diverse and international team and you will travel with us for team gatherings to amazing locations like Mallorca or the Bavarian Alps several times a year. Check out this playlist (https://bit.ly/39xtIrn) to find out more about how it all looks.
You will be successful in this position if you
- You’re an avid cyclist that understands from first hand experience what makes a specific road or trail enjoyable for the type of bike you’re riding. You’re motivated by doing deep research and communicating your insights in a structured way.
- Your exceptional analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills will help you lead the routing squad in delivering the best routing engine in the world.
- Have 3+ years Product Management experience in a product company with an emphasis on the technical/backend side of a product OR 3+ years of experience in data science and/or engineering with an ambition to transition into a Product Manager role.
- Have first hand experience with using online route planning tools (komoot, Strava, RideWithGPS etc).
- Have a good understanding of the various sub-disciplines within cycling and hiking sports (road, gravel, MTB, mountain hiking, etc).
- Have an endless curiosity to research the nuances in routing rules between various sports and countries.
- Have optimization mindset: You’re motivated by continuous small optimizations (seeing the needle move)
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills: You’re comfortable moderating technical discussions in a team of skilled professionals, communicating goals, vision, and showcasing complex problems with a passion for finding pragmatic and smart solutions. You also enjoy talking to outside users with various backgrounds and preferences.
- Have the ability to learn new processes and concepts fast with a demonstrated sense of curiosity.
- Speak English on a native level and have buckets of patience, and no ego – we’re a team and have always achieved incredible results together.
- Bonus: if you have already worked with OpenStreetMap data (professional or hobby) and/or are familiar with basic routing concepts like graphs, weights, Dijkstra algorithm etc.
Sound like you?
We want to hear from you! Please send us the following:
- Your CV in English highlighting your most relevant experience.
- A cover letter explaining who you are and why you would like to work with us.
- Examples of your work/ products you have worked on (you can include examples in your cover letter as well).
- Feel free to send us something that shows us a little more about what you’re interested in, be it your Twitter/Instagram account, or your OpenStreetMap profile if you have one.