Radical candor? More like radical gander, right?
Ok, enough goose puns for the moment, but now that we’ve got your attention, allow us to tell you more about this company called GooseChase and why might you want to join us!
You love an app that makes you smile, right? Well our product is a lot of fun. And even though our origins are that of a humble scavenger hunt app, we’ve now evolved (hatched?) into a super-flexible platform used by millions to create all sorts of experiences! It’s all the best parts of a scavenger hunt, with a delightful twist to keep you coming back for more.
With all that fun and flexibility, we’ve been growing like crazy. For teachers in the classroom, we’re the new “TV cart”, aka the learning tool that students legitimately look forward to. For today’s workplaces, virtual or otherwise, we help the team connect with each other to the point where they want to come into (or logon) to work. And for local cities and towns, we bring families together in a way that truly builds a sense of community.
But we’re also unique in that we don’t have any investors and, as a result, are able to put our people before profit. Seriously. We have a profit sharing program specifically for this reason! It also means we grow at the pace we want to and put the time into making this the best possible place to work. When we do something, it’s because it’s the best thing for our team and our customers, no matter what. We’ve actually been fully remote from the very beginning, because we wanted our people to have the flexibility to live wherever and however they wanted!
So what exactly is this job?
If you’re looking for impact & ownership, this is about as good as it gets. As the lead product manager, you will be responsible for everything from the nitty gritty of product management to the strategic – ensuring we work quickly, cross-functionally & iteratively while building the right thing for our customers.
And once you have enough customer insight accumulated in your nest, we’ll turn you loose to own the long-term direction of the GooseChase product, transitioning us beyond one-time scavenger hunts, and the strategy and roadmap for how we get there. Looking at our next 3-5 years, this is some of the highest impact work that will be done by anyone in the company!
In terms of your day to day, you will be:
– Regularly communicating with customers, conducting customer interviews alongside our design team, building user testing into our workflows and creating early adopter / beta user lists. Put simply, you will be the voice of our customers.
– Diving deeply into data, defining key product & feature-level metrics, identifying “aha” moments, evaluating performance & harvesting insights that can be used to make our product even better.
– Working closely with our CTO to refine our dual-track agile product development processes, defining what goes into our sprint cycles & ensuring our team is able to iterate rapidly.
– Approaching de-siloing & empowering individuals as one of your key responsibilities, constantly communicating, connecting & removing roadblocks from your colleagues.
– Taking lead on recruiting and managing new product team members.
– Staying up to date with trends and new products in our space as a competitive market expert.
At GooseChase you’ll be working alongside a team of highly motivated, world-class people with tons of opportunities for learning, growth, and mentorship. Our entire team works closely together, so we are extremely selective about who we hire to ensure the calibre of our team remains high. Be prepared to bring your ‘A’ game!
We understand that relevant experience comes in all shapes and sizes and the ability to do the job is all that matters. With that in mind, we aren’t going to put together a generic list of all the requirements that we’re looking for with this job, however, there are certain things we are looking for – specifically:
– Have you succeeded at building and owning the product function at a fast-growing company before?
– Do you get excited to talk with customers, learn more about their problems & run tests and interviews to make sure actual value is being provided?
– Does the idea of iterating on product development best practices, such as sprints, user testing, discovery & development tracks, etc, get you incredibly fired up?
– Are you regularly identifying & monitoring key metrics to evaluate success and continually improve? Are you comfortable working with product analytics (e.g. Mixpanel) tools to get the job done?
– Do you consider cross-functional team collaboration & communication one of your greatest strengths?
– Are you comfortable challenging the status quo, even when it means having difficult conversations with peers and direct managers?
– Do you have very high standards for your work and desire to work with other talented people?
– Are you based in the GMT-5 to GMT+1 time zones, so you can work closely with our distributed product team?
– Can you get down with an uncomfortable amount of goose puns?
Ok the last one isn’t super work related, but we honestly do have a lot of goose puns. It’s one of our favourite parts of our culture!
We do things differently here. We’re all about fun, but also making an impact. We care deeply about working with amazing people, and have set up our company culture specifically for that – our compensation is competitive, our work environment is autonomous and collaborative, and our emphasis is on learning and growth. Put simply, it’s the type of company we actually want to work at ourselves!
So, this is us, standing in front of you, asking you to join us.