Director, Product Management, News
New York Public Radio is seeking a Director of Product Management, News to join the Digital Product and Technology team. The Director of Product Management defines the product strategy and owns the execution and successful delivery of news-focused initiatives on digital and audio-first product experiences that connect the tri-state region to the best local news team.
In this role, you’ll collaborate with our newsroom, using research, analysis, and a deep understanding and empathy for our users, to determine how best to present, distribute and market the New York Public Radio’s content. Your goal will be to discover, develop, and ship products and features that deepen our relationship with our local community and make our news content a key part of their lives.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned, self-directed, and confident product leader with a passion for news media and a toolbox of approaches to strategy, design, product development, organizational effectiveness, and team leadership.
- Drive iterative product development from conception through launch in collaboration with Engineering, UX, Project Management, and QA teams.
- Define the minimal viable product; making trade-offs between the feature set and time-to-market
- Develop and define our long and short-term digital news product strategy
- Develop deep understanding of our audience, business, and industry
- Be the voice of the users – advocating for user-focused product initiatives and improvements
- Identify technology, digital trends, and evolving social behavior that may support or impede our success
- Build and maintain roadmap to create value for users and grow business
- Author use-cases and user stories and build shared understanding
- Discover opportunities worth pursuing through analysis and rapid experimentation via product discovery and design thinking methods
- Collaborate with clear communication and a positive, results-oriented approach with internal teams and departments
- Coordinate with product peers and their teams to share learnings and ensure quality cross-platform experience
- Provide clear vision and scope documentation, use cases, workflows, wireframes, design requirements, and other materials needed to support product creation and refinement
- Evaluate and manage relationships with possible partners and vendors
- Develop proposals, RFPs, presentations, and business plans
- Provide regular updates to stakeholders on roadmap and KPI targets
- Ability to organize and motivate large cross-functional teams.
- Ability to manage conflicting interests between teams and drive to solutions.
- A passion for public media
- Ability to think big, while paying attention to detail; ability to balance consumer vision with business needs.
- A tactical problem-solver, ready to get in the weeds when necessary
- “User First” product management approach and results-oriented personality who has the pulse of digital user behavior.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills.
- Strong quantitative and analytical abilities. Uses data to drive decisions.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a willingness to take risks and move into uncharted territory
- 7+ years experience in product management in a digital environment with roadmap and KPI ownership
- Web, mobile/native app industry, and emerging platform domain experience, with a news media focus
- Superior written and spoken communication skills
- Technical understanding of web and mobile technical architecture and publishing tools
- Exceptional organizational and analytical skills
Strong user experience sensibilities
- Strong experience with Agile methodologies and iterative development
- Ability to speak fluently with stakeholders, partners, designers, and engineers
- Experience with Product Discovery, Design Thinking, Lean Product a plus
This is a full-time role that includes benefits. New York Public Radio offers competitive compensation with excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance, vacation, personal and sick time as well as generous parental leave.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this role is currently operating in a remote capacity and will continue to be fully remote through at least August 2021. However, this position is not a permanent remote position and is part of the New York City staff, and may be expected to work fully from the New York office when it is safe to do so.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
New York Public Radio is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We continuously strive to place our employees at the center of our thinking and elevate inclusive practices to develop and support a more engaged and productive workforce. Our journalism and operations in the service of that journalism benefit from a broad range of perspectives, from all backgrounds, at all levels of the organization. Diversity is essential to honest, authentic, accurate storytelling and reportage; creating an institution in which all voices are encouraged, valued, and heard.
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving the goal of equal employment opportunity for all. Applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions without regard to mental or physical disability, race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship status, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, employment status or any protected federal, state or local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.