The Atlantic has, for more than 160 years, advanced ideas that matter and sparked global conversation on the most important issues of our time. We aim to bring clarity and original thinking to questions of consequence, on topics ranging from politics, the economy, and global affairs to technology, science, and culture. As the third-longest-running magazine in America, we find ourselves at a remarkable moment: one of both continuation and transformation, of upholding our legacy while continuously reinventing ourselves for the future.
We are seeking a Senior Product Manager to help grow and scale The Atlantic’s B2B business. You will partner closely with cross-functional teams including ad operations, programmatic, editorial, consumer marketing and data science. You will be responsible for exceptional user experience, ad delivery and optimization, and first-party data strategy.
Ad Products builds systems, platforms, and frameworks that support our B2B revenue operations. Some of our recent projects include:
- A sophisticated client-side ad injector that places ads based on the content and device profile
- An innovative automation layer on top of the ad server with unique capabilities
- A brand new platform to deliver an immersive virtual event experience
- And we’re always obsessed with page speed.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Gathering, analyzing, and prioritizing needs from advertising partners, readers, and internal stakeholders
- Staying on top of advertising trends and innovation in the marketplace
- Making strategic, proactive recommendations for the development of new ad products based on industry insights, client demand, and The Atlantic site/ user experience
- Champion opportunities to innovate the ad experience within new and existing platforms (i.e. podcasts, apps, etc.)
- Deliver excellent ad product execution by partnering with the teams dedicated to building ad experiences that deliver on brand goals
- Ensuring native and impactful user experiences that serve brand needs
- Ensuring optimized performance of front end ad experiences, coordinating closely with engineering
- Ensuring programmatic yield optimization, coordinating closely with revenue operations
- Implementing a strategy for first-party data, including the migration to a new DMP
- Developing strategies and executing plans to enable and optimize long-term ad revenue growth that supports our overall business strategy
- Own overall metrics around revenue and yield in partnership with Revenue Operations and Data Science
Your role as a product leader includes a commitment to helping us build a culture of cross-functional collaboration, inclusion, and trust. We believe that shared goals matter more than reporting lines, and that the best work happens when people from multiple backgrounds gather around common problems. We expect you to lead by example.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Product management experience, ideally in Ad Product or Ad Tech
- Ability to connect business strategies, customer needs, and available technologies to deliver best-in-class products.
- A good understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of advertising and first party data strategies
- Experience with A/B testing
- A high degree of empathy and a gift for listening—to internal partners and to users
- A talent for navigating editorial, engineering, design, and business conversations
- An entrepreneurial and inventive approach to solving problems
- An abiding appreciation for the value of great journalism
- A lifelong love of learning