Do you want to join us on our mission to shape democracies for the digital age? Are you looking for an international and fast-paced, yet collaborative and inclusive environment to thrive in?
You have come to the right place.
CitizenLab, a social impact scale-up with its HQ in Brussels, aims to make public decision-making more participatory, inclusive, and responsive. The SaaS platform is already being used by over 300 cities and municipalities in +18 different countries, facilitating two-way communication between governments and their citizens. Since it was founded in 2015, CitizenLab gave +500,000 citizens a direct voice in local politics and got recognized as ‘Best Social Impact Startup in Europe’. CitizenLab is looking for purpose-driven talent to join us on our mission to have +2.5 million citizens actively participate via its e-democracy platforms in cities across the globe.
Product designer at CitizenLab
At CitizenLab, we pioneer in building the digital agora for stronger online democracies. As a product designer, you play a key role in shaping this future. You help create solutions that bring citizens and their governments closer together while making sure every voice is heard. You see to it that we build solutions that work in local contexts ranging from Europe over the United States all the way to Bermuda.
You’re a member of up to two cross-functional squads, with a product manager and up to 6 engineers. Each squad has clear objectives in terms of product outcome, and the autonomy to make them happen. You work closely together with the product manager and engineers of your squad(s) throughout the whole product discovery and delivery process. You are coached by and report to the team lead of the product team.
Your responsibilities include:
- Together with your squad, internal stakeholders, and end-users, you work out different concepts for the problems researched by the product manager;
- You use research techniques to inform your design decisions, and leverage tools such as wireframes, sketches, and journey maps to test and improve product experience in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders;
- You design components, interactions, and transitions in Figma and you thoroughly test the usability of the solution;
- Together with other product designers and front-end engineers at CitizenLab, you continuously raise the bar in terms of design quality and process efficiency.
What do we expect from you?
- You have experience designing digital products and systems, not just websites. You have helped ship products that solve real problems, and that people use. Experience with system design and information architecture is a big plus.
- You appreciate the entire product development process, from problem-solving and system modeling to detailed UI, visual, and interaction design. Experience with microcopy or data visualization is a big plus.
- You have a willingness to own problems and comfort with ambiguity.
- You have experience with both qualitative and quantitative techniques for user testing. And you find answers to your questions in data.
- You are feedback-driven. You expose your work early and have no trouble killing your darlings.
- You can deeply collaborate with both product management and engineering, and you’re a good communicator. Hands-on experience with writing code is a plus.
- You are very fluent in English. Knowledge of Dutch and/or French is a plus.
- The ability to relocate to Brussels is a plus, but not a requirement.
What can you expect from us?
- Unlock your full potential and have a social impact at scale. Day-to-day we work with local government leaders across the world to help them connect with their communities.
- Become a key factor in our rapid transition from a startup to a scaleup (50 employees), and our expansion from Europe to the United States.
- Work in a fast-paced, collaborative, and supportive environment. We share a participatory culture of autonomy and ownership by everyone, not only by leadership.
- Be part of our dynamic, international team. We organize many team activities and afterworks (when possible). We are as serious about our work in digital democracy as we are about having fun on our journey together.
- Enjoy an informal work vibe with open communication and full transparency on results.
- Participate in leadership meetings, inspiring team lunches, our company book club, bi-quarterly strategic town halls, and yearly off-site team retreats.
- Spend 10% of your time on personal projects and self-development for the long run. We’re committed to both collective and individual growth.
- Receive a competitive salary package, incl. perks such as 26 paid holidays, a professional development budget, well-being budget, collective bonus plan, your own laptop, full flexibility on working from home, and much more.
CitizenLab is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.