The Role (brief description):
A Senior Product Manager is an essential focal point for creating products that matter to Grapeshot customers. The product manager owns the identity and character of a Grapeshot product line. This person participates as part of an independent and autonomous Product Team alongside multiple software engineers, Product Designer, and a Product Marketer. They are responsible for assessing product opportunities, defining the products which need to be built, and leading the effort of Product Discovery within their team. Reporting to the SVP of Product Management, the Sr Product Manager drives iterative practices throughout all phases of a product lifecycle to ensure products are valuable, usable, and feasible.
- Continually develops a firm understanding of the digital landscape and our technology in order to innovate upon and productize aspects of our core technology to fit.
- Generates product opportunity briefs for the team by through listening to various sources across: the market (via passive and active methods of inquiry), stakeholders, engineers, and mining data.
- Frame opportunities alongside Product Marketing by determining needs, gaps,, positioning and competition in the mark
- Leads product discovery exercises within their Product Team, working with engineers, product designer, product marketing and other core stakeholders..
- Acts at the tactical level as a scrum Product Owner, overseeing articulation of Epics and potentially even Stories and coordinating with engineers and ScrumMaster to facilitate optimal delivery from the team
- Influences broader stakeholder groups, including sales/marketing/executives, to drive product changes into the organization.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Needed
- Conducting focused research on product concept feasibility (market size, set up costs, presence of alpha/beta clients, etc) and determination of product concept hypotheses, willingness to pay, and testing – for the purposes of building robust opportunity assessments
- Sourcing material to support product training and communications — including verbal and written articulation of product concepts, or product collateral and training materials
- Relationship development with technology or commercial partners and clients
- Coordinating with Engineering Teams within an Agile agreement – sprint planning meetings, fortnightly product demos, and backlog management
- Provide a mentoring role for junior product managers as well as helping evolve and grow the Product Management organization
- Working experience with managing team activities through JIRA
- Comfortable working with clients directly as part of research and user evaluation
- Communicates with product designers and engineers in their language, designing with consideration for their cares and concerns. Fosters a highly-collaborative design process and, as a result, is trusted by their team to talk through both scope and technical challenges and negotiate thoughtful outcomes.
- Seeks out new processes, techniques and tools, tries them out and reports back to the Product team, recommending what to incorporate into our shared process.
- Contributes not only to the products they work on, but to Grapeshot as a whole. Identifies and shepherds new design-led projects, gains buy-in and collaborates with other disciplines and departments. Spreads design thinking and enthusiasm across the organization and beyond — whether giving talks, participating in open-source projects, or writing blog posts.
- Raises the level of product awareness at Grapeshot by spreading product thinking and enthusiasm across and outside the organization
- Shares work early and often and encourages peers to seek out constructive feedback from their manager, stakeholders, and the Product team and actively filters and prioritizes this feedback on their own.
- A Sr Product Manager is measured on the success of the product.