We’re searching for a Head of Product to build the world’s most ambitious health research programme. You will lead a supportive and talented team of designers and product managers and collaborate with a wider multi-disciplinary team and bring a pragmatic user-centred and agile approach to developing products and services.
About Our Future Health
Our Future Health will be the UK’s largest ever health research programme, bringing people together to develop new ways to detect, prevent and treat diseases. We are a charity, supported by the UK Government, in partnership with charities and industry. We work closely with the NHS and with public authorities across all nations and regions of the UK.
Despite big improvements in healthcare in our lifetimes, today millions of people in the UK still live in poor health as they get older. Diseases like cancer, dementia, diabetes, and heart disease affect the lives of many people in our communities. Our goal is to create a world-leading resource for health research, to improve our understanding and spot the patterns of how and why common diseases start, so treatments can begin sooner and be more effective.
Our plan is to bring together 5 million volunteers from right across the UK who will be asked to contribute information to help build one of the most detailed pictures we have ever had of people’s health. Researchers will be able to use this information to make new discoveries about human health and diseases. So future generations can live in good health for longer.
An exciting opportunity for a Head of Product to join a team to build a highly ambitious long-term research programme with the potential to have a significant impact on disease detection and prevention, and to help people live healthy lives for longer.
This role will suit somebody with senior-level experience in developing digital products who can add value to the entire product life cycle: the vision and opportunity, strategic design, developing and optimising products, and ongoing evaluation.
The ideal candidate will have worked on consumer digital products and/or services and have some experience of public sector products or tech for good. You will lead a supportive and talented team of designers and product managers and collaborate with a wider multi-disciplinary organisation (which includes study operations, behavioural science, partnerships, epidemiology and technology) and bring a pragmatic user-centred and agile approach to developing products and services.
We’re looking for somebody who driven to deliver great outputs and excited by the whole process, from sketching and researching to presenting and influencing the vision.
- You will lead the product team in the development and maintenance of a suite of products that surround the programme
- You will be the guardian of the product roadmap, and ensure that it is aligned with the organisational objectives
- You will lead the product team to meet a broad set of challenges, for example; study recruitment, embedding trust into technology, developing reward systems, designing for inclusivity and long-term retention of participants.
- You will work within a multidisciplinary in-house team to experiment, prototype and investigate products, tools, designs and technologies
- You will champion accessibility and engagement across the full diversity of UK society, with a focus on reaching the seldom-heard and ensuring that principles of privacy, trust and security are inherent in all that we build.
- You will influence the design of novel approaches to collecting and also returning health and lifestyle feedback to participants over time, developing products for both research and clinical utility.
- You will lead the team to design systems that integrate across devices and channels, including health and fitness devices and wearables, working with world-leading technology companies
- You will work with our behavioural science, clinical operations and science teams on user research and testing, embedding analytics and communicating insights to improve our platform and products
- You will line manage product managers and designers at various levels, and be responsible for maintaining great relations with outsourced teams and suppliers
- You will manage the budget and recruitment roadmap for digital product and services
Required skills and experience:
- You will be able to share with Our Future Health a portfolio of projects that showcase your work, ideally, these will include examples of:
- Digital products that showcase online and mixed online/offline user experiences
- Transactional consumer apps and mobile websites, ideally with some eCommerce elements
- Examples of user testing, research and product optimisation including usability testing, focus groups, co-creation sessions, remote interviews, analytics and online feedback
- Products which are designed for a diverse set of users with consideration of aspects such as accessibility, localisation and translation; testing across cultures, languages, age groups and ability levels
- Innovation and creativity, for example by solving an old challenge in a new way, or developing a creative proposition to solve a new problem (regardless of the outcome)
- Applying the lean methodology to achieve scale in a digital product or service
- Proven ability to commission and manage agencies and freelancers, lead a team, present your ideas and communicate concepts to audiences at all levels
- Pragmatic, decisive and focussed on cutting through the complexity to deliver outcomes and successfully navigate the ambiguity that is inherent in ambitious new challenges
- Excellent communicator and listener, who uses inclusive, clear language and leans in to meet people at all levels of digital literacy
- An accomplished people manager, invested in individuals, generous with your time and skills and able to set the team up for success
- Experience in designing health, medical or wellness products would be beneficial, as would experience working in a start-up company
- Competitive salary and company pension/benefits
- 30 days annual holiday allowance
- Must have the right to work in the UK
- You will start with the Our Future Health remotely, but the role will be predominantly office-based (in central London) as restrictions ease (with the flexibility to WFH)
- Basis: Full-time, Part-Time and/or Flexible
Working with us
We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures. It is vital that a diverse range of people participate in Our Future Health so we can help make discoveries that benefit everyone. We believe that a diverse workforce will help us to achieve that goal.
Join us and become part of the UK’s largest ever health research programme, bringing people together to develop new ways to detect, prevent and treat diseases.
Let’s prevent disease together.