Block is a platform transforming the $400 billion renovation industry. Doing a home renovation is a very stressful and hard process. Our mission is to give homeowners a better way to improve the spaces they live in, and to give contractors a better way to work.
Block simplifies the renovation process to give homeowners a reliably good experience, with certainty around outcomes, quality, price, and time. We are building an ambitious, tenacious, and creative team unafraid of tackling new challenges. The founders are former leaders at Casper, HuffPost, and Rent the Runway. Investors include New Enterprise Associates, Lerer Hippeau Ventures, Obvious Ventures, and more.
Role & Responsibilities
We are looking for a Senior Product Designer to craft user-centric experiences and streamlined systems to the classic question, “What goes into a renovation?” Renovations are a high stakes experience for homeowners, and a highly detailed process for design and construction professionals. Your work will balance simplicity and flexibility in designing an ecosystem for the multi-faceted workflows that support the lifecycle of a renovation.
Once here, you will:
Drive the concepting, prototyping, validation, and visual execution for the Block ecosystem related to the design, procurement, and the internal workflows of a renovation.
Develop strategic partnership with product and engineering to deliver on mission and identify opportunities for roadmap.
Maintain and evolve a digital design system with holistic consideration across platforms.
Identify tradeoffs and recommend design solutions based on qualitative and quantitative research.
Organize user research from beginning to end including concepting, socializing insights, and incorporating feedback into designs.
Develop relationships with the cross-functional team to design elegant, outcome-based solutions.
Self-start and take ownership over the details from beginning to end.
- 3-6 years of digital product design experience, along with a portfolio that demonstrates problem solving and systems-oriented design.
- Experience managing or mentoring other designers a plus.
- Strong understanding of information architecture, multi-step, and cross-platform flows.
- Passion for creating great end-user experiences, and a balance between pragmatic intuition and innovation.
- Strong understanding of layout, typography and visual hierarchy.
- Communication skills to articulate the “why” behind design and partner cross-functionally.
- Familiarity with user research best practices and methods across different phases of the development process.
- Comfort with design tools for sketching, wireframing, interface design tools (Figma, Photoshop, Illustrator), production HTML/CSS for the Web, and native prototyping tools (Framer, Principle).
- Early stage employee equity
- Vacation days and company holidays
- 100% employer subsidized health insurance, dental, vision
- 12 weeks fully paid family leave + optional leave
- Working alongside an ambitious, kind, no-drama team
Problems are our fuel.
Be tenacious and calm.
Save money and time where we should.
Speed is our advantage.
Stay humble – in failure and success.