Job Title: Video Product Manager
Company: Trinity Mirror plc
Location: Canary Wharf, London
Trinity Mirror PLC is one of the UK’s largest media publishers, encompassing an award winning portfolio of 5 national titles, 130 regional titles and over 500 digital products. We are experiencing phenomenal online growth, and the acquisition of Local World in 2015 has strengthened our presence in the local markets. We’re well on our way to becoming the dominant local player online in the UK.
Trinity Mirror is looking for a Product Manager to join its video services team. Product Managers at Trinity Mirror drive the strategy and innovation behind our digital products, and you’ll be tasked with creating a product vision, being able to communicate it to stakeholders across the business, and help build on the company’s success as the largest national and regional publisher in the UK.
As the Product Manager of Video Services, you’ll be owning a product which is a strategically important investment area for Trinity Mirror, with video journalists producing content on a daily basis, served to millions of viewers.
You’ll be responsible for optimising the end-to-end video workflow, as well as innovating features and improvements, pushing the barriers of what’s currently done in video and imagining new and creative ways of delivering news to people across the world.
You’ll work with editorial teams to understand how news stories are published and build the tools which help them report on breaking stories. You’ll work with our commercial teams to build solutions around monetising our content through video advertising and syndication partnerships. And you’ll work with an agile development team who are passionate about delivering great user experiences.
This role reports to the Head of Components and Services.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Own the video product development at Trinity Mirror. You will be the domain expert of video workflow knowledge within the business.
- Be responsible for the full lifecycle of the video product and all its features, from conception, validation, development, launch and ongoing iteration.
- Be always thinking of the end user, and representing the customer when working with the business, editorial teams and technology to break down complex problems into achievable deliverables.
- Understand the data. There’s a wealth of data to look at and process, and you’ll need to be able to ask the right questions of it to identify issues and opportunities.
- Maintain up-to-date product roadmaps, sell your product vision to the business, set objectives and goals, and the KPIs you will measure your product’s performance by.
- Communicate technical issues to the business in a way which makes the impact clear and frame business problems to the technical team, so they can build the right solution.
- Work closely with the development team to write user stories and acceptance criteria, and with the business to ensure the delivered solution meets their requirements and agreed quality criteria.
- Facilitate decision making with stakeholders and the development team. This will include providing clear options about scope, detail of requirements and the solution.
- Run A/B Tests and multivariate tests to prove hypotheses when you have ideas around improvements or features, but lack the data to prove their business value.
- Represent Video Product at meetings at all levels across the business, and externally at conferences and trade events.
- Work closely with the Ad Tech and Commercial teams to ensure that we have the best monetisation solutions in place.
Who We’d Like To Meet
We’re interested in talking to you if…
- You’re an experienced Product Manager with a proven track record in online video.
- You’re passionate about online video and its potential, and the importance of news journalism.
- You’re a skilled communicator. You can talk to business stakeholders, technical teams, and give informative presentations which demonstrate progress, product vision and delivery plans to senior management and executive level.
- You’re experienced working in teams using Agile development methodologies, in particular, Scrum or Kanban.
- You write a mean User/Job Story, pride yourself on your immaculately organised backlog and know how to form acceptance criteria.
- You’re a critical and decisive thinker, able to consider all the available options and understand different viewpoints, and be able to use influencing skills to communicate a decision.
- You can focus on both the strategic vision, as well as the detail, and be the subject matter expert in all aspects of the video product.
- You’re a creative problem solver, able to use your analytical mind to resolve conflicts and reach decisions whilst getting everyone on board.
- You’re results focused, and believe it’s better to deliver one thing, than to partially complete ten things.
- You’re up for challenges, and approach them with a positive attitude.
- You’re proficient in being able to work independently and across multiple projects or tasks.
It’s by no means essential, but it’s a bonus if…
- You’ve got experience working with enterprise online video platforms like Brightcove, Kaltura, JWPlayer, Ooyala, etc and know how they work.
- You’ve worked with JIRA.
- You have experience of BDD.
- You know your way around analytics packages like Omniture, Chartbeat, Moat, etc.
- You have some development knowledge.
- You have some video production experience.
- You have experience working with an offshore development team.
- You’re educated to degree level, or equivalent experience.