The Economist is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. We deliver world-class, thought provoking content through a range of formats, from web and app, to newspapers and magazines, conferences, film and audio. What ties us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
With a growing global subscriber base and a reputation for insightful analysis and opinion on every aspect of world events, The Economist is one of the most widely recognised and well-read current affairs publications and the foundation of our digital consumer product portfolio. We are developing a world-class product and design organisation and have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Product Designer to help us define and develop the user experience across our web products.
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced Senior Product Designer focussing on our web products – creating the best user experience across economist.com, our newsletters and design system. You will be part of a team that is re-imagining how subscribers consume our content on the web and showcasing the breadth of our content.
You’ll be embedded in a cross functional team of Engineers and a Product Manager. Your role will be to produce end-to-end user experiences and create design deliverables ready for engineering. Your work will uphold The Economist brand digitally, maintaining a high bar of visual quality whilst ensuring technical constraints are considered to create intuitive user flows.
You’ll be able to demonstrate in-depth knowledge and experience designing content experiences for the web, comfortable sketching, creating prototypes and working through fidelity quickly. From user research to wireframes and user flows through to testing and validation – you’ll be responsible for working end-to-end.
You’ll be supported by a friendly and inclusive design team who have the autonomy to define and improve processes and care deeply about developing each other’s capabilities.
How you will contribute:
- You will work with key partners across the business (from product, editorial, marketing and data) to achieve shared goals
- You will plan, manage and run user research alongside your team to understand user behaviour and identify needs
- You will articulate key insights and translate them into testable artefacts like sketches, user flows or interactive prototypes that utilise The Economist brand to test assumptions and ideas
- You will map out user flows and journeys that think about edge cases as well as a happy path that broadens the teams’ understanding
- You will create production ready design assets and work with engineers to ensure a high quality experience is shipped
- You will facilitate workshops and/or design sprints that bring stakeholders and others along the product development journey
- You will communicate progress and product rationale to key partners by designing and delivering presentations; or through dialogue on an ad-hoc basis
- You will mentor and support other designers
The ideal skills for this role include:
- You have a portfolio that demonstrates your design process and core craft skills including interaction, typographic and information design across a breadth of platforms and project types
- You know how to run, evaluate and interpret user research findings in order to wireframe or prototype solutions
- You have an understanding of technologies used to build world-class digital product experiences. You have solid experience in agile working and sprints, will be hands-on with user-acceptance testing (UAT) and have a familiarity with the fundamentals of accessibility and usability
- You have experience in responsive design across multiple screen sizes and devices, with a well-trained eye for design quality, usability and consistency
- You have experience with prototyping and design tools like Miro, Sketch, Figma or Invision and can prioritise choosing the right tool at the right time
- Having experience designing for the editorial or news industry would be a plus
- You are a motivated team player with the ability to perform well under pressure and take ownership of your work end-to-end
- You have great communication skills and fluency in English
- You seek opportunities to learn and grow your hard and soft skills through feedback and self reflection
If you think you are qualified for this role but don’t necessarily tick every box, please submit an application. The ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist.
This role is based in our London office (The Adelphi, 1-11 John Adam St, London WC2N 6HT).
We offer flexible working and have systems in place to ensure working remotely when the need arises. However during the current Covid-19 situation, we are all remote, the intention is that when we are ready we will move back to spending more time in the office than not.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, gender identity, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation , age or marital status.