Good design is good business. We know this, so we’re working to make product design at xDesign even better. To help do this, we’re looking for an experienced senior designer to help lead our growing team. This role will be an integral part of maturing our craft and our practice. We’re at an exciting stage for the agency as we scale rapidly, and this is a chance to be involved in shaping the team’s future.
We’re an agency known for creating top-tier products for companies like Heineken, PayPal and MoneySupermarket. Our product designers apply design thinking, UX and UI expertise to products and software that people love to use.
Our company is growing fast, and we’re embarking on a DesignOps journey to finesse our approach to our processes and craft in order to amplify the value of design within the company. Our ultimate goal is to contribute meaningfully to the business, while remaining creative and committed to core design principles.
Not only will you have the opportunity to work with talented designers, engineers and product professionals on consumer-facing products for household names – you’ll also have the chance to help design the design team with your colleagues.
Collaborating with the UX and Design Manager, and working with your colleagues in design, you’ll shape best practices and help us make design into the superpower we know it is.
We have ambitions to become one of the best places to work in the UK and to be somewhere that designers will think of first when considering their next move. This is your chance to take on a deputy leadership role, and to use your skills and experience to help your colleagues and department grow, and the business develop.
We are a full-service agency that designs, develops, delivers and evolves digital products. That means we do everything ourselves in-house, with our trusted and experienced teams across a range of disciplines. You’ll work as part of a specialist team with your fellow designers to create truly exceptional products in a dynamic, Agile environment. You’ll also work on agile project teams to design and deliver products with engineers, product managers and delivery managers.
We offer the chance to work with different colleagues on exciting and challenging projects, and we work together to deliver Agile projects whilst striving to preserve a studio culture in design.
A designer’s perspective
“xDesign has been a great place to work. I’ve learnt so much in the time I’ve been here and really feel like a valued member of the team. The place is full of friendly, like-minded people, who love to dig into a problem and produce their best work. The company really takes care of their people – supporting them to work flexibly, encouraging their career development, and always listening. If you’re looking for somewhere to boost your career and enjoy your time at work, then I’d give xDesign a shot!”
As a senior member of our growing team, you’ll bring a mix of strong product design experience, design-thinking, design-system knowledge, expertise, and innovation. You’ll balance a rigorous user-centric perspective with business needs. You’ll be able to make bold, evidence-based decisions and move the product forward in a fast-paced development environment.
You’ll value collaboration and consistency across teams, working closely with other designers, product managers and engineers (local & distributed) to build great experiences. Engagement with the senior leadership team will not phase you, and you will be comfortable with fast-paced work and delivering to deadline.
If this sounds like a fit for you, you most likely have:
- Expertise in consumer-facing product design, user interface design, interaction, visual and motion design, storytelling, and prototyping
- Experience of designing native apps
- Lots of experience designing elegant, polished and delightful consumer-facing UIs
- Experience working with and contributing to design systems and componentisation
- The ability to tackle complex problems, whilst identifying and mitigating risks
- Proven expertise in the user-centred design process
- A bias towards documentation
- Great communication, collaboration and presentation skills, including the ability to explain your ideas clearly and persuasively to non-designers, especially senior executives
- Ability to multitask and prioritise – knowing when to be biased for action, and when to be considered and slow things down
- Comfort in a fast-paced, highly dynamic environment with multiple stakeholders
Additional skills and experience that would make you stand out:
- Skilled in Figma
- Motion graphics
- Experience mentoring others
- Agency experience
- An understanding of design patterns for behavioural change
- A good understanding of design as it relates to business
xDesign is an award-winning digital transformation and software agency with offices in Edinburgh and Leeds. We are a dynamic and energetic team, who work closely and collaboratively with clients. We craft intuitive user experiences and valuable products across a wide range of industries, technologies, and clients – including Heineken, Visit Scotland, Tesco Bank, and many more.
Our reputation as a partner determined to deliver high-quality, robust and thoughtful digital products has enabled us to scale to over 100 people in the last couple of years.
A competitive salary which we’ll discuss at the start of our hiring process
32 days holiday per year (including bank holidays)
Flexible parental leave
Personal development and progression plans
A Macbook Pro and more top tech to facilitate your role
A dynamic and energetic environment
Regular in person and online social events
YuLife employee benefits (including discounts for personal health and fitness equipment and experiences)
This position is open to UK based REMOTE workers.
Think this is for you? Get in touch for a confidential chat about how you can become part of the team.
How to apply:
- To apply, send us your portfolio of case studies: This should demonstrate your strengths as a designer and explain how you have been involved in the projects presented.
- Please send this along with an up to date CV and a cover letter: outline why you want to join xDesign and why you think you’d be a good fit for this role.