A Product Manager is someone who has the experience to be the primary product owner for one or more product teams. Product Managers will be responsible for identifying the customer outcomes that their product team(s) work to achieve, and ensuring that the products delivered meet the needs of GVL customers. Product Managers are expected to demonstrate competencies in the full product lifecycle from discovery to delivery including: customer discovery, leadership of the product team, product evangelism, management of their product(s) including prioritization of work and writing release notes for product releases, and management of relationships with key product stakeholders. Key accountabilities include establishing and tracking business metrics for their products.
- Discovery: Engages internal GVL experts and customers (new or prospective) to gain an understanding of key challenges that represent opportunities for GVL products or solutions. Using this knowledge, the product manager collaborates with the product team and iteratively defines a solution ranging from a small feature enhancement to an entire product component.
- Meets with customers to identify customer needs and opportunities
- Gathers and considers feedback from a range of existing customers on whether new enhancements/ features/solutions will address their needs
- Meets with customers to validate features and walks through product iterations in the course of development to ensure product development is on track to meet customer needs
- Works closely with design to make sure features are usable and intuitive for our customers
- Works closely with lead engineer to ensure solution feasibility
- Acquires a deep expertise of their product, their customers, and the related domain(s)
- Documents key use cases and personas to help the team understand the problems
- Creates story maps, roadmaps and other artifacts to provide context and direction to product teams and other stakeholders
- Ensures final product meets customer needs
- Management of Product: Defines priority of outcomes, clarifies customer needs for the team, works with engineering to set deadlines for milestones, sets quarterly goals, and acts as a leader on their product team
- Acquires a deep expertise of their product(s) and adjacent products
- Creates and maintains a clear product vision and strategy that helps drive the product forward and supports the broader business goals of GVL
- Partners with lead engineer and UX designer to scope out solutions and features and establish pathways for team to develop the product
- Establishes success criteria for the product, and determines how to measure that criteria.
- Ensures final product meets customer needs
- Monitors progress towards product completion for each component and the final product
- Identify potential problems within their product areas, process, or team(s) that arise in their area and resolve or assist in resolving those issues.
Relationship Management: Manages relationships with their product team, the product management team, internal stakeholders, and customers that use or might use their product.
- Ensures that their product team understands the vision and strategy of their product, as well as the short and medium term plans to achieve their vision.
- Collaborates within the Product Management team to identify areas of possible alignment or collision
- Collaborates with Sales/Marketing to develop a go to market strategy
- Works to inform internal stakeholders of product strategy and goals, understands and considers their input
- B.A./B.S. degree preferred
- Previous experience in a product management role in software or related area
- Experience delivering software in an agile development environment using continuous deployment techniques
- Demonstrated competency in product discovery practices
- Entrepreneurial interests and experience
- Up to 30% travel, occasionally more during product launches
We bring passion and innovation to empower veterinarians to safeguard the health and well-being of animals worldwide.
Our cloud-based platform enables veterinary professionals to quickly create accurate, compliant animal health and movement documentation. As government regulations become more prevalent in the animal health industry, we continue to develop digital solutions that help ease the stress of compliance, while also assisting in disease traceability and data management.
Based in Ames, IA, we provide software to animal health practitioners in the USA and Canada. We believe that all employees contribute to the good of the company, and our core values encourage each employee to be accountable, spirited, inspired, dedicated, and respectful.
GVL has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by the supervisor as deemed appropriate.