A bit about us
We provide the data that underpins university excellence worldwide.
As the company behind the world’s most influential university ranking, and with almost five decades of experience as a source of analysis and insight on higher education, we have unparalleled expertise on the trends underpinning university performance globally. Our data and benchmarking tools are used by many of the world’s most prestigious universities to help them achieve their strategic goals.
Your new role
Are you a passionate and driven Product Manager, who can help us build and deliver our technology and data products?
Do you enjoy working as part of a cross-functional team to deliver best in class user experiences and solutions, that create real value for customers?
This is a pivotal role for us; we need your skills and experience to realise the product vision, strategy and roadmap for the data collection and pipeline that supports a major revenue generating data platform – providing insights for universities and governments globally.
What we’d like to you do:
– Take responsibility for the tools and processes that enable the collection and flow of data from our suppliers and customers, through our data science team and into our rankings, data products and other services.
– Alongside your new colleagues, from multi-disciplinary backgrounds, you will set a clear and cohesive strategy for your product area, whilst maintaining space to generate new ideas.
– Our customers are central to our success, so you’ll develop a deep understanding of their needs, identifying opportunities to create value and engagement.
– The talented data scientists and engineering teams at THE will benefit from your expertise and guidance in creating an efficient and scalable data pipeline based upon your knowledge of the wants and needs of the customer.
– As a ‘product leader’, you will work collaboratively with your squad to figure out the best solutions for significant user needs and/or pain-points while continuously improving how you work together, making sure everyone is productive, happy and effective.
– Apply lean start-up thinking to set hypotheses, design experiments, test assumptions and breaking-down complex problems, and be able to write clear, concise intuitive user stories and objectives focused on user outcomes.
– Work daily with your squad to plan, run and review each initiative and ensure that the backlog of work is focused on the outcomes that your strategy has prioritised.
– Be ready to work vertically for your product area but have an appreciating of the “horizontal” needs that cut across all product areas and how you can help with those wider goals.
– Confidently run internal and external product demos, highlighting the benefits of how the product can be used by end-users to achieve their objectives.
We’d love to hear from you if you can tell us:
– How you’ve worked with a fast-growing company in a product management role. It would be great to hear about when you have worked with cross-functional teams.
– Your experience working on data led products or data collection tools.
– About your knowledge of agile development and product methodologies and any hands-on experience carrying out product discovery and execution through to successful product launches.
– How you have shipped numerous complex and high impact commercial products.
– Tackled ambiguous problem spaces and challenges, particularly when working with technical teams that deal with ambiguity every day.
– When you’ve had to switch between strategic visioning and getting into the detail, in all aspects of your product with expert workshop facilitation and user story mapping skills.
– Where you’ve adopted the role of ‘mentor’ for more junior team members, and can explain the impact it’s had.
To be successful in this role, we think you’ll need to have:
Qualities and attitudes
– A high EQ and empathy for both our external and internal customers
– A genuine passion for product, technology, innovation and enjoy sharing your knowledge, championing a culture of learning, empowerment, experimentation and collaboration
– A Proactive approach to your work; we need you to be a real self-starter, who can seek out solutions using your initiative, under your own steam.
– A highly intellectual and curious nature. with the ability to learn quickly, assimilating new information, viewpoints and ideas
– Flexible agile mindset with willingness to learn and adapt quickly to changing priorities.
– Able to communicate your ideas clearly and able to articulate the ‘why’ behind your decisions
– Calm under pressure and above all excited by what we’re doing here at THE!
Knowledge and qualifications
– Working knowledge of data collection, data quality, data governance, data analysis and data commercialisation (or a combination of some of these) would be advantageous.
– A genuine interest in the power of data to support decisions and innovation.
– Good knowledge of data science principles is a plus (at product level).
– Knowledge of data lifecycle/lineage and pipeline technologies would be a plus.
– Able to evidence decisions using qualitative and/or quantitative analysis and logic.
– Excellent and up-to-date grasp of digital technologies, user experience design and research techniques.
– Knowledge and understanding of the Higher Education sector is a plus.
– Educated to degree level preferred.
– Currently remote but we will be aiming for you to attend our central London office around 2 days per week in the future.
If the role appeals, and you have the background, skills and experience to make a difference, apply now, and we will be in touch!