Patchwork is an award-winning digital healthcare solution that was built by doctors, for doctors. We are a public-private partnership with Chelsea & Westminster NHS Trust, are co-owned by The British Medical Journal and work with over a dozen UK NHS Trusts.
Patchwork is revolutionising flexible working in the NHS. We are helping NHS organisations save millions (and counting) by better managing their workforce, permanent and temporary. We help connect them to an increasing number of flexible temporary workers, remove reliance and spending on locum agencies, and improving the general experience of flexible working.
Ultimately, through our end-to-end workforce management offering, we are putting flexibility and humanity at the heart of staffing systems to create better outcomes for patients, workers, and managers.
As a Senior Product Designer at Patchwork, you’ll collaborate with cross-functional peers and stakeholders to define problems via rapidly prototyping and ship solutions. You’ll be a strong advocate for research, and design—practicing, socialising, and facilitating design thinking throughout the entire organisation.
Our product has a lot of specific requirements due to the nature of healthcare so you will be given the training you need in order to get up to speed with the required terminology, as well as having time to understand what we do here at Patchwork.
Patchwork provides solutions for both our clinician workers via our iOS/Android app and enables healthcare professionals to manage shifts on our web-based employer’s hub.
- Own the end-to-end design process, from problem definition and user research to prototypes at various levels of fidelity and polished visual/interaction designs.
- Drive design thinking and practice across the product team and beyond, increasing the visibility and impact of design through writing, speaking, or workshops.
- Embed yourself in a cross-functional team alongside product, engineering, and business stakeholders to help clarify problems and iteratively explore solutions.
- Work collaboratively to define both long-term strategy and short-term tactics to improve Patchwork, both within your own team and across the product function.
- Carry out usability testing and user experience research to falsify assumptions and validate solutions, working closely with Product and internal subject matter experts.
- Rapidly prototype potential solutions, identify which has the most promise, and collaborate with your Product counterpart to mobilise the team to ship a minimal viable product to validate with real users.
- You can define and articulate business or user problems in simple terms, and explore solutions that contain the right balance of simplicity, flexibility and impact.
- You think about the problems you’re solving and the solutions you explore, working from first principles and trying to understand real user needs.
- You have strong user interface and interaction design skills but have a broad skill set across product design, including research and prototyping.
- You think in systems and are able to translate your work into reusable patterns that can be used across the product design team to create consistent and coherent work.
- You are skilled in communicating your work, process, and design decisions to cross-functional stakeholders, and regularly seek feedback to improve your work.
- You love working with other designers to help them learn and grow through collaborating, coaching, and mentoring (and to have others help you learn and grow).
- You have a very high bar for design quality, but know when and how to balance priorities and scope to benefit your team, the design team, and the rest of Patchwork.
- You are results-driven and know how to use data to both define user problems and to understand if (or to what extent) your solutions address those problems.
- You are open to meet up with the other designers when needed, either in our London office or in the North-West of England.
Please send us your up to date portfolio!
We receive a lot of applications and as a small team we are unable to give individual feedback on each application. If you have not heard from us within a week, unfortunately you have not been selected for an interview
Due to Covid we are offering flexible working and are always following government guidelines, our head office is based in Shoreditch.
Patchwork provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants. All employment decisions (including recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, transfer, training, discipline and termination) are based on the applicant’s or employee’s qualifications as they relate to the requirements of the position under consideration. These decisions are made without regard to age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic characteristics, race, colour, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship, disability, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or any other legally-recognised protected basis prohibited by applicable law.