Role: Senior Product Manager, Discovery
Business: RAP – Research Application Platform
Reporting to: Product Director
Location: AlphaBeta Building, London
Elsevier is a global information analytics company that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity. Our mission is to lead the way in science, technology and health.
Our innovative technology platforms and smart content solutions operate at the cutting edge of big data, semantic web and cloud technology, enabling faster more effective critical decision-making daily and across the globe.
Mendeley.com is a scholarly collaboration network (SCN) that was acquired by Elsevier in 2013 and is revolutionising how research is carried out.
Being part of Elsevier, we’re backed by a FTSE 100 company that fully supports our vision and gives us the opportunity to drive change that has impact on a truly global scale.
Your primary responsibility
Your primary responsibility is to manage the ideation, specification, build and launch of an entirely new product vertical that will allow users to stay up to date with what is happening within their research network – the creation of a deeply integrated, social and personal content canvas that will ultimately give researchers more time back in their day due to significant efficiencies that you will bring about in the product.
What you should bring
Your skills and experience should cover the full spectrum of customer-focused product management within a data-driven technology and content business.
You possess a unique blend of domain expertise and technical savvy; a big picture vision, but yet also have an eye for detail. You have the drive to make your vision into a reality, both from an acceptance point of view — being able to sell your idea to stakeholders and senior management, based on metrics-driven arguments — and be able to implement your ideas. You feel comfortable with agile development practices with an emphasis on roadmap development and priotisation.
You enjoy spending time with users, customers and internal stakeholders to understand their problems, and find innovative solutions to solve these within the context of the broader service strategy. You are a natural story teller. In addition to this, you are able to communicate with all areas of the company and build strong relationships with your stakeholders.
You possess innate appreciation for what the best user experience can be, regardless of how complex the challenge. You work well with designers as they appreciate your contributions.
You have a working knowledge of high performance, high volume, multi-tiered, service-oriented web architectures and are comfortable in engaging closely with development teams to communicate business needs and understand technical tradeoffs that are explained to you.
- A min of 5 years’ experience in product management for online products or services using latest technologies and tools across web and (preferably) native mobile app product development.
- A solid understanding of current best practices when it comes to the finer detail of what drives successful adoption of social networks and digital content engagement.
- Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority; well-versed in stakeholder management.
- Strong planning and project management skills including a demonstrated ability to work to deadlines and juggle multiple projects.
- Strong analytical skills and ability for conceptual & strategic thinking.
- Self-motivated and able to work unsupervised, accepting responsibility for own actions.
- Broad overall end-to-end operations knowledge: processes, tools, suppliers and systems.
- An excellent understanding of overall business drivers and product development drivers.
- Experience in serving the global market and working in an international environment is a plus.
- An affinity for the world of science and research is a plus.
- Experience in publishing is a plus.