You’ll be part of Shelter Scotland’s digital team. working alongside sister teams of specialists in marketing and creative roles.
Disciplines in the digital team includes front-end development, UX, content design, and Service Design. We set the example for Shelter Scotland in digital best practice, discovery and innovation.
Role Specific Responsibilities
· Work with the business owner for Scotland to validate the teams’ opportunity selection against the directorate’s goals, taking the whole offering into consideration
• Develop and coordinate strategic goal setting and planning activities across multiple workstreams, including multiple product teams and teams operating and iterating services
· Develop and run our product planning cycle, roadmap and release plan
· Lead on the development of external partnerships and bids to fund work that’s out of scope for in-house teams with in-house fundraising teams within your portfolio
· Provide oversight of our portfolio-level insight framework using quantitative and qualitative data. Lead on the insight framework’s regular iteration. Provide regular performance and outcome updates to stakeholders
· Work with subject matter experts and specialists within Shelter to understand our audiences, validate opportunities, develop and test ideas, and manage products through their lifecycle
• Continue the development of a user-focused, evidence driven, agile culture at Shelter. You’ll be an advocate for our users and support the people that report to you, your peers and leadership team in ensuring Shelter Scotland’s portfolio of products and services meet people’s needs
• Experience of working with content strategists and making prioritisation decisions, balancing business need with user need.
• Build strong relationships with stakeholders throughout Shelter, ensuring products meet the organisation’s needs as well as those of users, and helping build an understanding of the possibilities of digital and the benefits of an agile, user-focused approach
• Look for opportunities to create value and transfer knowledge, sharing skills and insights with the wider organisation
• Lead on the planning, delivery, maintenance and optimisation of digital products for people who need our support, people seeking to campaign with us and people who want to donate to our cause.
• Develop and prioritise the team’s backlog and support prioritisation across the portfolio
• Act as an advocate for continuous improvement, looking for opportunities to improve how the team works
• Alongside other specialists within the team, support and coach colleagues around the organisation to develop a digital vision for their business area, translating challenges and opportunities into excellent digital solutions. This includes developing product visions, establishing meaningful metrics, capturing needs, ideas and requirements and verifying them with data, and running workshops
• Ensure that all digital activities are delivered collaboratively with a range of internal stakeholders and that internal communications are constructive, timely and effective
· Join the organisation-wide communities of practice to share and align with other product leads
· Line manage digital team and matrix manage a number of specialists when required
• Act as a point of contact for the digital team for internal and external enquiries
· You will have an understanding of how user-focussed digital products and services can improve people’s lives, and a desire to create the most helpful products for people struggling with bad housing or homelessness, for people who want to take action around the housing emergency and for those who want to donate to our cause.
· You will have experience in a specialist digital product role in a digital agency or in-house for an online business.
· You will have an interest in learning about evidence-driven strategic planning.
· You will have experience of agile planning, demonstrating experience with a range of tools and techniques.
· You will have experience working with stakeholders of varying levels of digital literacy.
· You will have the ability to advocate for a particular approach while building constructive relationships.
· You will have experience in product development, including facilitating ideation and scoping. Experience of using metrics, working against organisational strategic objectives and acting on user research to validate ideas and scope.
· You will have product-level planning experience, especially goal-oriented roadmaps and release plans.
· You will have experience of working with cross-functional teams or collaborating with experts from other teams for a common aim and will have some line management experience.
· You will have the ability to effectively communicate the principles of good digital practice and technical details of web development with both technical and non-technical audiences.
· It would be desirable if you have experience of working with organisations in the not for profit sector, either as part of an in-house team or as a supplier.
· It would be desirable if you have a relevant certification, ideally in an agile discipline such as Scrum or Lean Kanban or knowledge of Waterfall methodology.