ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for a Product Manager to play a key role on the Digital Products team at TED, focused specifically on building out and iterating upon TED’s technology supporting our wide range of programs and initiatives. This is an opportunity to ‘do good’ while having a high level of impact at a large-scale event and media company.
TED’s initiatives are at the heart of our mission to spread ideas. Our initiatives include groups like TEDx, Translators, and Circles. They empower individuals to spread ideas through creating local events, translating content, or hosting conversations built around TED’s content. As the initiatives product manager, you’ll work with these teams to ensure they have the best tools and processes to manage their communities. Your work will include a variety of projects, from bespoke products built specifically for TED to processes built off org-wide off-the-shelf products.
- Manage a suite of consumer-facing and internal products that work together to make up TED’s initiative technology
- Partner with TED’s internal stakeholders and subject-matter experts to identify opportunities and pain points, set priorities, orchestrate product development schedule/roadmap, and manage and communicate prioritization
- Define product strategy through problem/opportunity definition, business goals, user research, and stakeholder management
- Collaborate with other product managers, designers, and engineers to scope and implement solutions for TED’s various communities
- Be the point of contact for our internal teams who execute the operational elements of all initiatives
- Coordinate all aspects of product delivery, including: requirements definition, roadmapping, release planning, change/dependency management, user acceptance testing, and rollout operations
- Communicate updates and outcomes regularly to senior leadership across the organization
- You have 2+ years of product management experience
- You’re proficient with the product development lifecycle and tools of the trade (discovery, user research, writing requirements, prioritizing roadmaps, usability testing, data analysis, etc.)
- You learn new technologies and products spaces quickly and can effectively discuss the tradeoffs vs. benefits of various approaches with your engineering peers
- You are deeply user-centered and highly empathetic – you have an intuitive understanding of what makes a great user experience, pay attention to UI/UX details, and work extremely well with design partners to manifest those principles into product solutions
- You love tackling complex problems in ambiguous environments and tight, immovable timelines and have the grit and creativity to get to a great solution
- You’re comfortable assuming multiple roles, keeping pace with shifting priorities, and maintaining your own work queue
- You’re detail-oriented, adaptable, and curious, with an ability to gather information by clearly articulating questions and escalating for help, when needed
- Preferred: You have experience with SaaS products, data integration, and/or service design
Your current location is flexible, but you’ll need to work U.S. east coast hours. Once it is safe, you can be based out of, or at least need to periodically travel to, TED’s Manhattan office.
WHY WORK FOR US
TED is a global community, welcoming people from every discipline and culture who seek a deeper understanding of the world. We believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and, ultimately, the world. TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages. Everything we do is driven by this goal: How can we best spread great ideas?
In addition to driving forward TED’s mission and joining our dynamic Digital Products team, we’re proud to provide strong employee benefits, including:
- Full health benefits (medical, dental, vision) 100% paid by TED for employees
- Work-life balance encouraged (TED closes for a 2-week summer break and 1-week winter break plus you’re eligible for additional paid time off)
- Free OneMedical and SpringHealth membership for you and your dependents to address physical and mental well-being
- Paid family leave
- 401(k) with match