You’re a talented and passionate Technical Product Manager wanting to tackle some of the toughest problems in charity. Your background is in technology. It’s no sweat for you to understand the needs of technical stakeholders and articulate those requirements to developers. While you’re great at these details, you can also keep the big picture in your head. You understand how the nitty-gritty technology pieces fit into the overall business and product strategy.
Summary of Role
As a Technical Product Manager at Chimp, you’ll drive the development of part of our core platform. You’ll own reusable core platform functions, systems and services that we use to build products for donors, charities, companies and others. You’ll write product requirements and manage a backlog of improvements, defects and other tasks. You’ll work on a motivated team of product managers while leading a team of talented developers.
What makes you stand out
- You’re a strong communicator who can rally stakeholders behind a product vision.
- You seek out answers by asking tough questions. You don’t wait for answers to come to you.
- You have successfully worked on complex tech products with many moving parts.
- You can switch from a strategic frame of mind to a tactical frame in a heartbeat.
- You are highly organized and detail oriented. You document everything, be it requirement, decision and other context artifacts.
Technical Product Management (100%)
- Understand, prioritize and articulate business and technical development requirements for Chimp’s Platform.
- Manage and prioritize a product backlog of improvements, tasks and bugs. Ensure the team is always working on the most valuable things.
- Write clear and complete requirements and acceptance criteria for the development team.
- Triage defects, requests and suggestions, carefully evaluating the impacts, benefits and costs before determining if and where to insert in the backlog.
- Write, refine and manage a product roadmap for your product area.
- Play the role of Product Owner on an Scrum Agile team. Take part in regular sprint meetings including backlog grooming, sprint planning, daily stand ups and more.
- Coordinate planning, timelines and deployments with other product managers. Report plans and status to relevant stakeholders.
- Wield your superhuman communication skills to rally and align the development team and other stakeholders behind the product vision.
- Use your knowledge of the customer, the input of stakeholders and business strategy to make smart decisions and provide context to team members.
- Understand of emerging technologies and industry competitive landscape. Use that understanding to positively impact the product roadmap.
Skills and Requirements
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in computer science, engineering and/or information systems. Other backgrounds will be considered but strong technical knowledge is required.
- 2+ years working as a product manager or product owner.
- 3+ years working in a technical role such as software development, systems architecture or similar.
- Experience gathering business and technical requirements and articulating those requirements into actionable work for development teams.
- Excellent communication skills, allowing you to convey concepts, plans and results in writing and in person to a variety of stakeholders.
- Experience working in a Scrum Agile development team.
- Experience working on a software platform and/or in a platform business.
- Experience developing software service components as a product manager or engineer.
- Experience in financial, wealth management or accounting industries.
- A certificate or education in Agile Product Ownership.
- Training from Pragmatic Marketing, 280 Group or equivalent.
- Experience working with a variety of development teams including in-house, remote and agency teams.