Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal.
Founded in 2017, our award winning, technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of over 250 across 4 locations.
Motorway is now valued at over $1 billion and is backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors, having raised £143 million in Series C funding.
Our product-driven approach and leadership has resulted in an environment where design and UX is highly valued. This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth, build amazing products and help change an industry for the better.
About the role
Motorway is growing quickly and we are now seeking a talented Product Designer to bolster our design team.
Working closely with Senior Designers and Product Managers you’ll be responsible for designing features across our full product range, including our product for car sellers (motorway.co.uk), car buyers (pro.motorway.co.uk) and important internal tools for our Customer Service Agents. In addition to designing web apps you may also be involved in developing native mobile apps for our services.
We are a design-focused organisation; extending to the founding team; with a very strong focus on creating amazing user experiences and high quality products. We seek to build a creative and fun working environment where the best ideas win and great work is created.
The role involves:
- Research and planning: participating in user research and product planning to understand problems our users have and define solutions. Conducting competitor research and desk work to discover design solutions to business problems.
- UX and UI design: creating designs for products and features, from lo-fidelity sketches and wireframes through to polished interactive prototypes and demos. You’ll use tools like Figma, Principle, Adobe CC and any others you’d like to introduce the team to.
- Developing our design system: developing and iterating UI components in our design system, including icons, controls, fonts and colours. You’ll take into account different platforms (web, native, desktop, mobile) and modes (dark, light) while tackling accessibility and technical constraints.
- Collaboration and reviewing: you’ll collaborate closely with stakeholders, users, product managers and developers to present your work and gain feedback. You’ll also actively participate in reviewing other designer’s work giving you the opportunity to develop feedback and coaching experience.
- Developing a design culture: you’ll share inspiration, techniques and design thinking to help the team stay fresh and knowledgeable in all aspects of design. You’ll also champion design throughout the business, helping non-designers understand and value good design.
👩🎨 Commercial experience in a product design, service design or UI design role, demonstrated by a strong portfolio.
👌 An understanding of how to design interfaces for a B2B or SaaS platform would be an advantage.
📈 An ability to solve real problems through design, demonstrated by examples of projects or features that have had a measurable impact on the business or organisation.
✍️ You’re used to working alongside Visual Designers on typography, colour, illustration, photography, icons and branding.
🔬 An exceptional eye for detail and a precise, accurate approach to creating design work.
🛠 Experience with design tools such as Sketch, Figma or Adobe, and collaboration tools like Slack and Shortcut; plus strong Mac skills.
👩🔬 Knowledge or experience of user research techniques such as evaluative research or focus groups.
🤹 Comfortable collaborating with different areas of the business, such as commercial, marketing and development teams.
💬 Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
🚀 Drive to win and willingness to take bold decisions when necessary.
😀 A great team player with a strong sense of humility.
- A competitive salary.
- A stake in the business, via our stock option programme, enabling you to share in the future growth and success of Motorway.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- BUPA health insurance.
- £350 annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons.
- Pension scheme.
- Motorway Car Leasing Scheme
- Flexible working (approximately 2-3 days in the office a week) with the option to work fully remote for a month per year.
- Top spec MacBook Pro and peripherals.
- Regular social events.
- Discounted Calm membership.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- The chance to join a rapidly growing company that cares first and foremost about its people.
- The chance to work with an experienced and passionate team with a big vision.
- The opportunity to build products that have real impact and will change an industry.
Equal Opportunities Statement:
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.