Unmind is a workplace mental health platform. We empower employees to live more fulfilling and balanced lives by changing the way organisations around the world think about mental health. We believe that everyone has the right to a healthy mind – because we all have mental health, all of the time – and we’re striving to create a world where mental health is universally understood, nurtured, and celebrated.
In the past 18 months, Unmind has grown from a 30 person team to a fast-growing, 150+ person global organisation with offices in London, Sydney, and New York. With the recent announcement of our Series B funding, we’re looking forward to our next stage of growth which will enable us to deliver on our mission to improve the mental wellbeing of ten million people in organisations around the world.
We have ambitious plans to change the perception of mental health and we still need help in achieving them– which is why we’re looking for an exceptional individual to join as our Head of Product Design.
Uniting Behind Uniqueness
We are committed to building an inclusive workplace and encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work. However you identify, and whatever background you bring with you, we welcome you to apply for a role at Unmind.
If there are any adjustments that would help improve your experience with Unmind, please do let us know when you apply.
We also believe our interview process should be inclusive and transparent. Find out what to expect and more about our commitment to diversity on our candidate FAQs page here. As always, if there is anything missing, or you’ve identified a way we can improve, just let us know!
The Role – Head of Product Design
The last year has been a transformative period for the topic of mental health. We’ve all gone on our own wellbeing journeys – for many, it has been a time of grief, loneliness, and anxiety while for others, it has been an opportunity for reflection and growth. If there is a silver lining from last year it’s that the appreciation, education, and investment in mental health and wellbeing has been accelerated.
As a company, we have always believed that the positioning, narrative, and imagery around mental health is misrepresented. If we are going to truly break the stigma and make a lasting impact in the workplace and across broader society we need to create an experience that repositions mental health as something we all nurture on a daily basis.
We have spent the last 5 years on creating the Unmind experience as a small UK startup. We are now ready to take that to the next level and are looking for someone who understands the power of design & research in transforming people’s relationship with subjects and who is energised to change the relationship people have, around the world, with the topic of mental health.We are looking for a Head of Product Design to who inspires their team shares the company vision and wants to lead the design function towards it. Who inspires beautiful customer experiences which engages our users to form healthy habits.
In this role, you will:
- Lead a team of 4 Product Designers and 2 researchers initially, growing it to a team of 20 over 2022, including your leadership team of Design and Research managers
- Champion the value of generative research to unearth problems, opportunities and systematically evolve our product to achieve our vision
- Embrace the uniqueness of the human race and champion accessibility for all
- Deeply care about the quality of the experience, which mirrors our passion for scientifically validated content that enables users to reach high positive mental health
- Build strong partnerships with colleagues across the organisation, including Product, Engineering, Marketing, Content and our Leadership team
- Lead and define the product design vision, strategy and principles; providing direction & support to the designers & researchers working in product development
- Recruit and develop amazing designers by defining their career paths, identify opportunities and inspire them to do the best work of their lives
Skills and Experience
We firmly believe that no-one is the finished article and that there should be learning in every role you do. However, some experience in the following is important for the role.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- A successful track record as a Design Leader in a fast-growth company, leading product design teams
- A portfolio showcasing a track record of delivering industry-leading work
- The know-how to build meaningful cross-functional relationships to ensure our product is design-led
- A user-first mindset and cares about design from strategy through to execution
- An awareness of platform ecosystem design principles and design systems
- Experience recruiting, mentoring and managing top industry talent
- Comfortable working in an environment of rapid growth, constant change, and lots of unknowns
At Unmind we believe in having a whole person approach and we hope that our benefits enhance the lives of Unminders, helping them be happy, healthy and fulfilled. You can see the full details of our benefits on the careers page, but they include:
To support you throughout everyday life at Unmind
Private Medical Insurance for you and your family
Pension | 401(k) | Superannuation
Unmind Equity scheme
Taking time to celebrate and experience the important moments in life.
25 days annual leave plus your birthday day off
Flexible working, including flexible use of Public Holidays
£1,000 annual learning budget with 2 days learning leave
Gender-neutral parental leave policy and Parental coaching
Ensuring Unminders have access to tools that enrich both their bodies and their minds.
Monthly ClassPass Subscription
Regular company socials and wellbeing activities
Friend and family access to the Unmind platform
Office perks (free on-site gym, rooftop seating, community events)