Findmypast is one of the leading websites for family research in the world. We work tirelessly to digitise and preserve the world’s national archives for future generations to enjoy. We’re a British-owned company with 18 million registered users across a plethora of websites including Findmypast (UK/US/IE/AU), Genes Reunited and The British Newspaper Archive.
We’re looking for a talented, ambitious, Product Designer to join our team in London or Dundee. It’s a really exciting time to join the Findmypast Design Team – we’re expanding, working with Agile processes in cross functional teams. Millions of customers trust us to give them the tools they need to build their family tree and discover their ancestors. It’s a fantastic opportunity to make an impact on an industry ripe for disruption.
What we believe:
- The value of great design – it’s what differentiates our products in a crowded market place
- The value of data, but we aim to be data-informed, rather than data driven.
- We like to work hard, but we like to laugh and have fun while we’re at it. When we’re not designing best-in-class genealogy products, we’re out for a beer or two…or still in the office playing ping pong.
The successful applicant will:
- Have a bias for action
- Be an excellent communicator
- Love shipping products – you’re prepared to roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to get them out of the door.
- Always put the customer at the heart of your work and are an advocate for their needs to the rest of your team.
- Have a positive, can-do attitude and be a team player
- Want to deliver meaningful, experiences that matter to customers
- Have a lean approach to design; your default is to produce the minimum needed to move forward.
- As comfortable exploring ideas with pen and paper as you are with high-fidelity designs.
- Love facilitating workshops, and encourage co-creation in cross functional teams
- Want to learn something new each day — and share it.
- Want to take an active role in shaping the culture of design at Findmypast
- Want to mentor and guide junior team members to foster a design team that is always greater than the sum of it’s parts.
- Love presenting your work and embrace criticism.
Requirements for this role:
- At least 6 years’ experience in digital design.
- A proven track record of shipping beautifully designed, and effective products
- An ability to cope with uncertainty or ambiguity and excel in spite of either
- A portfolio full of beautiful projects, with numbers to back them up
- Experience leading projects and mentoring junior team members
- A good mix of both UX and UI skills — you can run a customer interview in the morning and create a product style guide in the afternoon.
- A proven ability to turn customer insights into executed design
- An in-depth knowledge of Sketch, it’s plugins and prototyping tools like Invision, Flinto, JustInMind and Marvel.
You will also have an extensive knowledge / experience (and a healthy sceptiscism) of:
- Modern approaches to software development including agile (Scrum/Kanban), and Lean.
- UX methodologies and project artefacts
- Information Architecture
- OKR, 4DX frameworks
- A/B and MVT testing for experimentation and optimisation.
- The latest design and tech trends
- User testing, innovation games and customer interviews
- Google analytics dashboards, conversion funnels and evidence-based design.