Freesat is a joint venture between the BBC and ITV that delivers free-to-air digital television to UK viewers. With sales of 5 million receivers to date and nearly 2 million active homes, Freesat currently hosts over 200 channels in its TV Guide and offers 15 on demand services.
We’re a small team based in central London, where we look after product development, operations, marketing and strategy. We work closely with STB and TV manufacturing partners to develop, launch and continually improve Freesat products.
Freesat launched its first smart TV guide in 2012. This award-winning product combines broadcast TV with on demand services including BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub and Netflix, and is supported by a companion mobile app with remote record and remote control functionality.
Freesat is planning a new generation of STB products with the latest technology and features, and we’re looking for a technically-minded product manager to come on board and lead the product development. Starting with the existing user experience, you will work to enhance, evolve and deploy it onto the new platform, optimising the experience and identifying and exploring new opportunities.
This is a chance to work directly with the latest broadcast and IP technologies and help to shape the next generation of Freesat products, from R&D through to product delivery. You’ll be working collaboratively with architects and engineers from Freesat and its STB partners to translate technical possibilities into great product features. The role therefore requires a good understanding of STB and IP technologies, as well as a strong product management instinct.
It is an initial 6 month contract, with the potential for extending beyond this.
We’re looking for someone who has
- A minimum 3 years’ experience in product management / business analysis working to deliver B-to-C products that meet user and business needs.
- Previous experience of working with STB or television hardware or software products.
- Demonstrable understanding of the development technologies used in STB, broadcast, IP and video services.
- Experience working in a fast moving environment. (Experience within broadcast industry a strong benefit.)
- A deep understanding of UI, navigation and usability.
- Demonstrated capability to balance concerns of different disciplines and constraints.
- A good eye for detail and the ability to document accurately.
- Strong problem analysis and resolution skills.
- A background in technology, engineering or software development. (This is a strong advantage but not essential.)
We’d love to hear from you if you are
- A self-starter with the ability to perform in a high-pressure delivery environment.
- Passionate about television, media and technology.
- Highly organised with an ability to anticipate issues before they impact workflows.
- Able to work collaboratively across teams to manage input to product development.
- An excellent communicator with the ability to make complexity simple for others to understand.