Full Time (37 hours per week), Flexible working, Part time, Condensed hours, Job share all considered
Up to £44,165 per annum
Location: Chelmsford / remote
Working Style: Anywhere worker
Closing Date: 13th November 2022
Now is an exciting time to join the Council’s Service Transformation team. We have a clear vision to develop modern services that meet the needs of residents, employees, and businesses in Essex.
We’re making things better by building accessible and adaptable services that are simple to use. Our work is guided by best practice principles of what makes a good service .
We have a comprehensive programme to consolidate and redesign ECC websites, making them clearer and more accessible. This will be the foundations from which we continue our work in rethinking end-to-end services and delivering the huge ambition in Everyone’s Essex.
If you are an experienced Product Manager this is an opportunity to use your skills to transform public services and help establish the product management profession at ECC.
As a Product Manager you will:
- Continuously strive for optimal user centered design
- Manage a large and diverse group of stakeholders with varying interests
- Lead the ideation, technical development, release and iteration of innovative local government products
- Drive product vision and roadmap development with teams of designers, user researchers and developers
- Integrate user research, data analysis and customer feedback into product requirements
- Work on a diverse scope of problems that require creative evidence-based solutions
share skills, knowledge and working practices
Day-to-day you will:
- develop a deep understanding of users’ needs and champion these in the delivery of your products
- help define, explain, and iterate a product vision that is compelling to your users, delivery team and stakeholders
- plan and manage the different phases of the product delivery lifecycle ensuring products are built effectively on time and to budget
- identify and track key performance metrics that define product success
- meet high standards to make sure products meet user needs, consider future changes in technology, and can operate at scale (including the Government Service Standards, accessibility regulations and Information governance principles)
Skills and experience
We are looking for an experienced Product Manager who:
- is confident working with and challenging stakeholders at all levels, and communicating clearly to manage their expectations
- has experience of making and demonstrating evidence-based decisions
- has experience working collaboratively within cross functional and multi-disciplinary teams
- knows how to set up and manage a backlog of work, and has been responsible for setting the priority order
- has strong verbal, written and visual communication skills and can present complex technical content
- can identify, communicate, and deal with both risks and constraints across the product life cycle
- has experience engaging with users and identifying how their needs are met by products and services
- has a working understanding of design, technology and data principles and the importance of assisted digital
- can coach and lead teams in Agile practices, determining the right approach to take and evaluating this through the life of a project
To read more about Service Transformation and the wider People and Transformation function at the Council please visit https://www.workingforessex.com/role/people-and-transformation
Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us here.
To view our Organisational Behaviours information please follow this link.
Benefits of working for us
This is a great role in a vibrant and growing team. You’ll find an inclusive culture and a place where your opinion is valued.
We’re also a sociable bunch. We regularly get together for team lunches and to celebrate our successes.
You can find out more about us and the work we do on Service Transformation blog.
The Council has developed a package of benefits that we hope resonates with you. You can find out more about our pay and reward offer on our Working for Essex website.
It’s important to us that we represent the communities that we serve, and we want a diverse workforce and an inclusive working environment. You can find out more about our commitment to equality and diversity on our Equality and Diversity page.
If you would like a chat about the role then we’d love to hear from you. Please email email@example.com
Please include a covering letter in your application. This should present demonstrable experience for all the bullet points listed under “skills and experience”. Please try to use real examples and tell us what the situation was, what you did and what the result was.
If your application is shortlisted, you’ll be invited to attend an interview on 24th or 25th November 2022.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community.
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.