✨ Lollipop is making the mundane magical ✨
We are cooking up the fastest and most enjoyable shopping and cooking experience in the world. We want to help busy families and those overwhelmed by the pressures of daily life ultimately enjoy this chore. We are laser focused on building a product that doesn’t just look after everyone but our planet too, so helping to reduce the £10 billion of food waste thrown away every year is a huge priority for us.
Our diverse founding team of 17 have built businesses such as Monzo, Amazon, Curve and our backers have scaled companies like Ocado, Innocent, Babylon and Deliveroo. We know what it takes to build products enjoyed by millions of people across the world. In order for us to complete our mission though, we need to find like-minded folks who care about the same things we do – that’s where you come in.
We’re looking for an experienced product designer to join Lollipop at the most exciting stage of our journey so far, taking responsibility of the end-to-end product design of our platform and helping shape a growing design team along the way.
You’ll be involved at every stage of the product and design process, from early ideation and brainstorming sessions, to mapping out flows with your team, researching with new and existing customers, and ultimately responsible for helping get things shipped to their hands with the highest level of polish and quality. Working in a team at this early stage provides an opportunity to be involved in a wide range of product and brand design, giving you the chance to flex your design skills across many mediums. To give you a taste, here are some of the projects Lollipop designers have worked on recently…
- Redesigned our web app to be mobile-first from the ground up, focussing on improving user onboarding and first-time interactions
- Designed our native mobile app, from the overall app architecture to high fidelity interface interactions
- Designed a component library to support the web and native experiences
- Created assets to go along with postings on our jobs board
- Created our first proper brand, from a new logo to colour scheme, and guidelines to show how it should be used
- Ran lots of usability tests to support design decisions we weren’t sure about
Some of what you’ll be responsible for:
- Leading design within a product squad, working closely with engineers, product managers, analysts and user researchers to design and build a best-in-class product experience
- Talking to users to validate your designs as we go – undertaking research to ensure we’re always solving the right customer problems and that our decisions help users achieve their goals
- Nurturing our global component library, evolving it as the product grows along with the help of the wider design team
Sharing and receiving feedback with other designers during internal design reviews
- Communicating design and product decisions to stakeholders and the wider company
- Setting a standard of excellence in design, and working closely with other designers to hone their craft
- Supporting hiring efforts for design and other related disciplines, like product, engineering, and data
🙌 We’d love to hear from you if…
- You have experience designing in a high growth startup and/or shipping world-class products
- You put yourself in our customers’ shoes and are driven by creating accessible, inclusive experiences
- You deliver output at pace knowing that getting designs in front of users quickly then refining is better than perfecting without shipping
- You love the tiny UI details that make a product click, but are equally excited by discussing the wider picture of product and business goals
- You know that feedback drives great design; you understand the difference between critique and criticism, and take care to communicate directly and fairly to improve the way we work
- You care about leaving things better than you found them – whether that be a Figma file, page of documentation, broken component, or an internal process you’ve come across, when you see something’s wrong, you push to fix it
- You enjoy talking to customers and learning more about how they use the product – whether that be during usability tests, research calls, surveys, or elsewhere, you want to understand their challenges and transform them into a better experience
- You understand that clear and effective writing is the cornerstone of great design. We’re not here to design pretty pixels, but to help effectively communicate to our users
🖖🏽 How you operate
Think big – you’re inspired by frighteningly ambitious solutions to big customer problems, you approach them from first principles and you have the determination to clear hurdles to get there
Move fast – you ship fast and learn fast, you set just the right pace, you collaborate well and you’re a clear communicator that can explain design decisions to non-designers in a useful way.
Make it better – you think about the bigger picture, you have a growth mindset with yourself and others (including a healthy relationship with feedback), you’re hard on problems not people and you seek out diversity in all its lovely forms.
- Salary range: £70K – £100K (depending on experience) with substantial EMI optionsThis is a level 2 or level 3 role on our progression framework. For more details of salary and options offered, please check out our salary calculator
- 25 days holiday, monthly socials and much more to come!
- We work both at home and in the London office, with dedicated onsite days to see the team and for regular socials (covid permitting!). We’re open to this role being fully UK remote with monthly/quarterly visits to London for meet-ups (We cover travel).
🤝 How we’ll get to know each other
We are excited to meet you! 🥳 We’re mindful and respectful of your time, so our process shouldn’t take more than about 4 hours in total and will typically consist of:
- an introductory conversation (we’ll also share insight into the following interviews)
- a role & team fit interview
- a design deep dive (white-boarding session)
- a culture interview
💜We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. We believe that our team is stronger with a variety of perspectives, and we’re eager to further diversify our company. If you have a background that you feel would make an impact at Lollipop, please consider applying. We’re committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best work of your career.
*We will only accept applications with accompanying links to your portfolio. A picture paints a thousand words…
(*NB We’ll only work with recruiters who we have a relationship with. No direct approaches!)