ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for a mission-driven, innovative, and outcome-oriented Group Product Manager to play a key role at TED, focused on building our consumer web and mobile technology. This is an opportunity to ‘do good’ while having a high level of impact at a large-scale media property.
You will be part individual contributor, part people manager responsible for leading your own cross-functional product team as well as product managers and related functions on tightly-coupled teams. You will be charged with driving the coordinated product vision, strategy, and development of the teams you lead to launch delightful experiences for all of the different types of users TED serves.
This role will report directly to the Senior Director of Product. The right candidate is an experienced product manager, exceptional at communication with stakeholders, and a strong product leader.
- Lead and coach a small team of Product Managers and related functions focused on conceiving, designing, building, and launching user-focused, high-quality products
- Work closely with Digital Products leadership to define our product vision, strategy, and roadmap across your product areas, and deliver tangible organizational outcomes
- Manage the day-to-day delivery and collaboration between your cross-functional team, and translate roadmap items into epics and detailed feature specifications
- Hire, manage, and grow your Product teams, helping them regularly and reliably execute on their roadmaps and bring solutions to market
- Partner with Design, Engineering, and other Product teams, doing what needs to be done to build world-class products that deliver real user and business value
- Collaborate effectively with stakeholders to understand key problems and ideate how we plan to solve them, regularly presenting on roadmap strategy and progress to TED leadership
- Manage multiple projects and competing priorities with consistency and transparency, while successfully knowing which components of the roadmap to tackle first
- Lead the performance and measurement of your team’s product experiences, including impact to the organization and our communities of users
- You have 8+ years of product management experience with a track record of building exceptional products that delight your users and produce clear business impact (e.g., advancing KPIs like growth and retention for highly-trafficked B2C and/or subscription products)
- You have previously directly managed other product managers or related functions
- You’re proficient with the product development lifecycle and tools of the trade (discovery, user research, writing requirements, prioritizing roadmaps, usability testing, data analysis, etc.) and know how to coach others to be equally excellent
- You’re an inspiring, collaborative, and clear executive communicator who can tailor the most complicated concepts for any audience to influence and drive organization-wide strategy and decision-making
- You are deeply user-centered and highly empathetic — you have an intuitive understanding of what makes a great product, pay attention to UI/UX details, and work extremely well with design partners to manifest those principles into elegant and effective product solutions
- You’re a strategic and analytical thinker who can not just drive, but also define, measures of success/KPIs with an outcome-driven and user-centered approach
- You learn new technologies and products spaces quickly and can effectively discuss the tradeoffs vs. benefits of various approaches with your engineering peers
- You should have a strong belief in TED’s mission and values
Your current location is flexible, but you’ll need to work U.S. east coast hours. Once it is safe, you can be based out of, or at least need to periodically travel to, TED’s Manhattan office.
WHY WORK FOR US
TED is a global community, welcoming people from every discipline and culture who seek a deeper understanding of the world. We believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and, ultimately, the world. TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages. Everything we do is driven by this goal: How can we best spread great ideas?
In addition to driving forward TED’s mission and joining our dynamic Digital Products team, we’re proud to provide strong employee benefits, including:
- Full health benefits (medical, dental, vision) 100% paid by TED for employees
- Work-life balance encouraged (TED closes for a 2-week summer break and 1-week winter break plus you’re eligible for additional paid time off)
- Free OneMedical and SpringHealth membership for you and your dependents to address physical and mental well-being
- Generous paid family leave
- 401(k) with company match