Before we start: a lot of research shows that men apply to jobs when they feel they hit around 60% of the criteria… but women and marginalised groups tend to only apply if they hit every single ask 🤯 Our job ads are a guide, but we won’t be looking for a 100% match on paper! We’re interested in hearing about how you can contribute to our team, not just tick the boxes.
We don’t have internal JDs so our job ads are a little more detailed than usual too as we want you to be able to make a fully informed (and excited!) choice to apply.
At Wayhome we are reinventing homeownership by co-investing with people who haven’t been able to buy a home yet. We’re a small team of property specialists, data scientists, engineers and creatives, who are addressing one of the biggest and most life-changing problems our customers have: how they can get the security and freedom of homeownership for their families and for themselves.
- Salary £75,000 – £90,000 based on experience ✨
- Unlimited holiday (minimum 28 day/year) 🌴
- A learning budget of up to £400 per year 🧠
- A Macbook and other work-from-home essential equipment 💻
- Cycle to work scheme 🚴
- An office in Bank with all the WeWork bells and whistles 🏢 – although…
For the foreseeable future, we’re optimising for the majority of our team to be working remotely, coming into the office for key meetings or workshops only. We have a (dog friendly) office in central London if you’re unable or don’t want to work from home, or just prefer the buzz of a co-working space, but we’re keen to provide an experience that works for everyone. We’re growing into this new remote-first reality together – if there is a specific way you want to work or you have particular requirements, let us know: we’re always open to discussing it.
You will be joining a brilliant, cross-functional Product Team, full of creative and ambitious individuals. The Team currently includes Product Managers, Designers, and Engineers — and we plan to add Quality Assurance Engineers, Business Intelligence Analysts, and other roles within the Product Team in the next 6-12 months.
The wider Wayhome crew is super talented, too. You will be working closely with them on a regular basis. COVID-19 has temporarily interrupted our ability to regularly get together and have fun face-to-face, but we are still doing what we can to connect, including playing video games and Pictionary together online.
We offer a collaborative, high-challenge, fast-paced environment, where we emphasise excellence and we make each other laugh. You will be supported by your colleagues when you need it, and be left to get on with it when you don’t.
We’re in the midst of fundraising for our Series A, purchasing more homes with our customers each day, and growing the business left, right, and centre. We will be doubling the Product team size post Series A (expected to land in the Summer 🤑), but in order to prepare for rapid scaling and to ensure we have enough additional capacity during the upcoming parental leave of our Chief Product and Technology Officer, Kate Jarvis, we are hiring 2 key roles pre-funding – a contract VP of Engineering, and a permanent Lead Product Manager (this role).
The Product team currently has 20 people across leadership, design, product and engineering. This role will report into the VP of Product.
What you’ll work on
TLDR: Leading, supporting and guiding the day-to-day of people, processes, plans and products in the Product & Engineering team, alongside our Engineering and Design leaders.
- Setting a cohesive multi-squad strategy, supporting the PMs to deliver on this in line with our cross-company planning process
- Collaborating with other functions to deliver on Product and business goals
- Line management within the product management function, and dotted-line management of other functions, dependent on experience
- Hands-on coaching of all product managers to improve their craft and drive sustainable high performance
- Identifying, mitigating and communicating major risks/blockers and proposed solutions
- Working closely with the VP of Product to use wider business insight and your on-the-ground experience to drive team focus and develop proposals for improvements
- Draft and reporting regularly on quarterly functional OKRs
- Working cohesively with senior team members to:
develop Sprint and Roadmap plans, debating this feature vs that tech debt to achieve business and individual function objectives
- Flagging opportunities for both small- and large- scale process efficiency, and support the Squads in experimenting to solve these
- Identifying areas for relationship improvement between functions
- Identifying and addressing skills and capacity gaps in the team
- Upskilling our Senior PMs in effective people management, driving junior PM growth in both core competence and confidence
- Occasionally taking features from scoping through delivery yourself
- Leading high-impact cross-company projects using our cross-company project management framework
- Propagating an “MVP first” mindset across the business, and leading by example
Who you are
- As excited about managing people as managing products – a confident line manager and team leader, and an experienced product manager who can direct cross-functional product teams to plan and deliver quality work on tight deadlines
- Experience in startups and/or scaleups, and understanding of the challenges/opportunities therein
- Experience working as part of cross-functional Agile delivery teams, and the challenges/opportunities for product managers
- Understand the importance of – and able to solve – both specific operational challenges and strategic ways of working
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, in talking to both technical and non-technical staff at all levels
- Day-to-day experience with using experiments and data analysis tools to drive innovation within the team
- Experience using wireframes as a communication tool, working with design to optimise our UIX for conversion and customer joy
- Mindful of the high level of care businesses need to take with sensitive customer financial data, and can talk about the impact of this on product development
- Someone who can work well with our existing high-challenge technical, product, and design team members to realise business value during this crucial time for our company
- Someone highly organised with strong attention to detail, who doesn’t let balls drop
- Someone who can talk honestly about the things they’ve achieved, the mistakes they’ve made, and the learnings they’ve gained along the way! You can read more about Wayhome’s values here
Other good stuff that we’re interested in
We think it’s important to make it clear that if you’re reading the below requirements and worrying that you don’t have experience with one, some, or any of the items on the list, please still apply! We think they’re trainable and are not required for a successful applicant to come in and change our world.
- Understanding the different challenges/opportunities in B2B and B2C product development and how your experience may translate
- Worked in a fintech and/or proptech company
- Worked on tooling for internal customers
- Experience working in a regulated or regulatory-adjacent business
- Have a solid understanding of the UK residential real estate market
- Experience scaling a product team
- Technical skills – particularly Python and SQL
- Proficiency with Heap, Tableau, BigQuery and Hotjar
- Working knowledge of system architecture and application architecture
A member of the team you will be working with will review your CV. If we don’t progress you at this stage, ask us why – we don’t offer feedback on every CV by default due to the volume but we’re happy to provide feedback if asked
- A 15-30 minute initial phone call to find out more about what you’re looking for in your next role and team, as well as giving you the opportunity to ask about us and the job
- A more in depth chat about your knowledge, experience and motivations and diving into more detail about the role itself
- There will be a task, which we send to you beforehand and book in a session for you to walk us through what you’ve done. This will help give you an idea of what the role will entail, while giving us some insight into how you solve problems and your work preferences
- For our final stage, you’ll have a couple of other calls to meet the team you’ll be working with, and ask any additional questions you might have about the business or working at Wayhome. We’ll be able to be more specific about these meetings closer to the time, but they’re really to get a better understanding of how you’ll work with the team and of the ways you can contribute to our culture
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK as we are currently unable to offer sponsorship. We currently have no plans to work with recruiters on this role, so no recruiters please.