As a PM at GoCo, you’ll be a mini-CEO. You’ll need to help us figure out what we should build and how we should build it. And you’ll probably make mistakes along the way. But that’s OK. We’re all about learning quick.
To do that, you’ll need to:
- Talk to users. Get to the bottom of what they want and need.
- Understand how competitors are solving the users’ problems.
- Spec out how you want to solve those user stories. You should be able to put together rough mockups really quickly.
- Incorporate feedback from engineers, the product team, customers, and internal stakeholders. We’ll have some pretty intense conversations.
- Create mockups. Flesh out all the edge cases. Engineers should be able to take your spec and make it come to life (without too many unexpected hiccups along the way).
The ideal GoCo PM would demonstrate these 4 main traits:
- Excellent communicator: You’ll need to be a great listener so you can understand users’ problems. And once you understand those problems, you’ll need to convey your proposed solutions via email, PowerPoint decks, whiteboarding or just sitting down and talking with devs, design, and execs.
- Half analytical, half creative: You’ll quantify and prioritize what’s going to deliver the most bang for the buck. Sometimes, those features won’t be very creative. What’s worked before can work now. But sometimes, you’ll really have to really think out of the box.
- Design: You don’t need to be a designer. You don’t need to know how to make things beautiful. But you do need to know how to distill complicated flows into something that’s intuitive and simple.
- Bias for action: You need to get stuff done!
Any experience with HR, payroll, or benefits is a big plus.
P.S. GoCo has been named one of Houston’s best places to work!