What We’re Building
Honeycomb is a service for the near and present future, redefining observability and raising expectations of what our developer tools can do for us! We’re working with well known companies like Hello Fresh, Slack, LaunchDarkly, and Vanguard and more across a range of industries. This is an exciting time in our trajectory, we’ve closed Series C funding, scaled past 100-person mark, and named on Forbes’ America’s Best Startups of 2022! In this Director of Product Management role, you’ll be a joining a growing Product team, managing Honeycomb’s product managers, contributing to product strategy in a significant way, assuring coherence between Product’s activities and our company and product strategy and guiding execution with partners in Engineering and Design
Who We Are
We come for the impact, and stay for the culture! We’re a geeky, talented, opinionated, passionate, fiercely inclusive, and responsible group of bees. We have conviction and we strive to live our values every day. We want our people to do what they truly love amongst a team of highly talented (but humble) peers. At Honeycomb, if you’re the smartest person in the room, you’re in the wrong room!
How We Work
We are a remote-first company, which means we believe it is not where you sit, but how you deliver that matters most. We invest in our people and care about how you orient to our culture and processes. At the same time we imbue a lot of trust, autonomy, and accountability from Day 1. #LI-Remote
What You’ll Bring:
-Has led product management teams before. You’ll have people management responsibility for our product managers, and as we grow you may manage group product managers as well. You should be prepared to lead an org of at least 10 people (not all direct reports), perhaps more. Besides providing day-to-day support and feedback to your reports, we want you to hold stewardship of the team members’ careers. This means actively helping the PMs to develop their skills, hone their craft, and grow their own spheres of influence.
– Can build product strategy. Our product strategy has largely been driven by the VPP in collaboration with the exec team and other stakeholders. You will be expected to materially influence or define significant swaths of the product strategy going forward. You should have experience identifying new opportunities (use cases, audiences, adjacencies) and be well-versed in the cloud native developer tools landscape.
– Brings coherence and big-picture thinking. Beyond ideation, you can synthesize information and evaluate whether our product efforts are aligned with our bigger goals. You should lean strongly toward outcomes over output and support the team in identifying opportunities that are most likely to move the needle for our users and business. You should be comfortable helping the team define success metrics, working with data to establish quantitative KPIs, and using OKRs as a framework for establishing focus.
– Shapes how we use data. You can help our team strengthen their muscles around how to best measure product outcomes over time, evolving how we use and share quantitative data to communicate about our work and its impact on the business. You will instill a sense of ongoing ownership and keep us accountable for not assuming a “ship it and forget it” posture.
– Gets shit done. You will form close relationships with partners throughout the org, most especially with leaders in Engineering and Design, but also with colleagues in GTM. You should be customer-driven and ensure that teams are engaging in product discovery with rigor and a focus on user needs. We want to feel confident in your ability to sense when a team’s work is going sideways and know that you will actively debug such situations when needed.
– Cares deeply about users and their needs. A strong candidate for this role will naturally gravitate toward wanting to understand users, what pains them and pleases them, and will be relentless in advocating for their best interests in the product. You will feel comfortable proactively reaching out to users, and your engagement will be tuned toward empathy and understanding.
– Distills signal to create focus. Honeycomb’s users and employees alike are treasure troves of great ideas and feedback. We’d like you to have a knack for listening to all of it, identifying patterns, and aligning signal with our product strategy and goals. The leader we’re hoping to find will not be easily distracted by streams of information incoming from many directions.
– Values clear, open communication. We see clear, thoughtful, and regular communication (including a willingness to give and receive feedback) as a fundamental skill, not just a nice to have — and we hope you do too. This role sits at the intersection of several teams and our users, making communication especially important.
– Knows tech. While an engineering background is not a requirement for this role, we expect a successful candidate to be technically fluent. You should be comfortable diving in to technical topics and have credibility speaking with our users, who are engineers. You should be excited about the value of observability (even if new to the space), eager to become hands on with the product and to understand our users.
– Has some domain knowledge. We’d love to find someone who has worked in any of these domains: observability (of course), developer tools, monitoring, logging, or data analytics related to software development. If you consider yourself an experienced user of products in one of those domains, that counts too!
– Has ample experience. For this role, there’s a minimum of at least 7 years of experience in product leadership with at least 3 years of those including people management. Generally we find that product leaders who have worked in startups and/or who have focused on B2B software are most likely to be successful at Honeycomb.
What You Get When You Join The Hive!
– Base pay for this position is $225,000- 240,000.
– It’s not about how strong of a negotiator you are – our pay is based on (transparent) levels relative to experience
– Our compensation is benchmarked to the San Francisco market, no matter of where you live (or move)!
– A stake in our success, expressed with generous employee equity
– A remote-first mindset and culture (really!)
– 100% employee coverage for Health, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability insurance (effective May 1st)
– Time To Recharge: Unlimited PTO, paid sabbatical, an expressed minimum for taking time off, and 14 US company holidays in 2022
– Work Life Balance and Flexible Schedule options
– The tech you need & a generous Home Setup Stipend
– $200 WFA Reimbursement for Cell/Wifi/CoWorking
– $1500+ Annual Professional Development Allowance
– Up to 16 weeks of paid parental leave, regardless of path to parenthood (birth, surrogacy, or adoption)
– Semi-annual performance conversations – We call it Review & Rewards Convos – so you know where you stand, and how you’ll be rewarded for your impacts
– Annual compensation review, benchmarking to industry and inflation changes
Diversity & Accommodations:
We’re building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other, and welcome nontraditional candidates, and people of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. You don’t need to be a millennial to join us, all gens are welcome! Further, we (of course) follow federal and state disability laws and are happy to provide reasonable accommodations during the application phase, interview process, and employment. Please email Talent@honeycomb.io to discuss accessible formats or accommodations. As an equal opportunity employer our hiring process is designed to put you at ease and help you show your best work; if we can do better – we want to know!