We are looking for a design leader to set a high bar for design across all of our products, instilling a design-led culture within our business. We need a “full-stack” designer who can tackle design problems from beginning to end – is that you?
You will be responsible for managing design requirements at busuu across iOS, Android and web. You will oversee UI and UX on both web and mobile, working closely with our product managers, designers, engineers and education experts. Most importantly, you will positively impact the lives of million of people – everyday, you will be pushing features and flows to our more than 70 million users across the globe, each learning a new language to improve their lives.
What does a Lead Designer do at busuu?
As a designer at busuu, you will have the opportunity to design the interfaces and interactions for new features, pushed to millions of users every day. You will lead design projects across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches. You will set the vision for the user experience and create the space for others to collaborate.
You will work closely with engineers as they build and ship ideas. You’ll partner with engineering, product, and business folks to find elegant but practical solutions to design challenges. You’ll provide the thought leadership to develop the right product strategy. Together, you’ll solve problems and come up with solutions that delight our users.
Most importantly, as Lead Designer, you will lead a strong team of 3 experienced designers and be responsible for their professional development. You will line manage members of your team through regular 1-1s and focus your team on delivering features quickly, effectively and to the highest standard.
What we’re looking for from a Lead Designer at busuu…
- Own every part of busuu’s design: apps, website, social media properties, emails, app store listings…
- You are a systems thinker; you design systems, not just screens.
- You can develop the approach/process for tackling a problem
- You are able to lead the solution of undefined problem spaces
- You feel ready and confident to not only own a brand but evolve it.
- Experience of working within an Agile development team.
- Experience in designing user interfaces for a wide variety of web, mobile and tablet experiences.
- You have a good eye for design and are capable of creating both low-fi sketches and pixel-perfect visual designs.
- Knowledge of various designs methodologies and processes.
- An excellent communicator of design work and the rationale behind your proposals.
- Be a thought-leader and the face of design at busuu.
- Lead a strong team of 3 experienced designers and guide them in their professional development
- Responsible for hiring for any open roles within your team
Not ticking every box or think you’ve got that unique set of skills we haven’t realised we need? Get in touch anyway; we’re always looking to add great people at every level.
- Competitive salary.
- Bonus Scheme.
- Private healthcare.
- Gym membership.
- Free breakfast and snacks.
- Free dinner if you need to stay late.
- Regular company trips (our last was to Madrid) and evenings out in London.
busuu is the world´s largest language learning community with over 70m users around the world and acquiring up to 30k new users per day. We offer free and paid-for access to audio-visual language courses in several languages. At the same time, users can improve their language skills directly with other native speakers of our community via peer-to-peer corrections. The vision of busuu is to enable everyone in the world to learn a new language. Impact at scale – that’s what we have.
busuu has been crowned Apple Best iPhone Apps 2014 and Best of 2015 on Google Play. We also received a Top Developer award as well as an Editor’s Choice award from Google Play. You can see some of the awards we won over the years here: https://www.busuu.com/en/press/awards
We are a friendly and fun, experienced international team who come from a variety of backgrounds but who share a passion for tech start-ups and education. Besides the opportunity to impact digital language education, we offer free private healthcare and gym membership. We also provide free breakfast every morning and snacks throughout the day.