The Government Digital Service is looking for Senior Product Managers who want to make a difference by delivering simpler, clearer and faster public services that meet user needs.
The GDS portfolio ranges from alpha prototypes through to digital products and services that are relied on by millions of citizens and businesses everyday. They are delivered by talented multidisciplinary teams working in agile ways with exciting approaches to design and technology. We want to recruit people with broad product management skills to work in these teams and give them expert support and direction.
As a Senior Product Manager with GOV.UK you will:
- be responsible for the implementation of one of GOV.UK’s strategic objectives, ensuring that all product teams involved are prioritising and delivering to achieve that goal
- lead one or more multi-disciplinary teams to deliver products and iteratively improve them through several iterations
- develop an expert understanding of the users’ needs and champion these in the delivery of your products
- identify and develop product principles, practices and processes to allow teams to collaboratively build the right thing, the right way
- coordinate product development with other product teams to minimise risks and manage dependencies
- engage with users and stakeholders through a range of channels to encourage awareness and use of your product
- set measurable goals for your product and report against these to demonstrate progress against stated benefits
- play an active role in the GDS product manager community sharing your learning, celebrating progress made by other people and teams, and providing line management and coaching to other product managers.
Skills and experience
We’re looking for someone who has a track-record of leading successful product delivery teams in agile environments. You’ll be guided by the fundamental principles of putting user needs first, focusing on delivery and outcomes over process, and being open and collaborative. Success for you means supporting others to deliver to the very best of their abilities.
It’s essential that you have experience of:
- shipping and evolving great digital products by working with multidisciplinary teams in an agile delivery setting
- creating, maintaining and prioritising product backlogs and roadmaps to direct the work of delivery teams, especially with a view to driving adoption of products and services
- collaborating with a variety of disciplines involved in digital delivery, including engineering, design, content, data analysis and user research
- engaging with users, commissioning research and turning qualitative and quantitative insight into product improvements
- setting, monitoring and reporting measurable product performance objectives and managing a process of benefits realisation
- engagement with senior management, representing the work of your team and demonstrating its contribution to overall organisation goals, especially in terms of tangible benefits to users
- exemplary verbal, written and visual communication skills that you are able to tailor to the needs of the audience
It’s desirable that you have experience of:
- development of publishing platforms and supporting content designers
- ensuring a consistent approach to user and technical operational support
- recruitment, line management and coaching staff