At Perlego, we’re working hard to make education accessible to all. In this digital age, we believe that anyone should be able to learn anything at any time. Knowledge should be more accessible, not locked behind sky-high price tags.
Over the past 4 years, our goal has been to support students across the UK & Europe to access quality books. The next stage of Perlego is two fold: 1) expand our support to students globally, and 2) build a product that goes beyond the book, a platform that helps students study smarter and more effectively.
What we’re looking for
A talented and ambitious Product Designer with experience in designing beautifully crafted interfaces and world-class product experiences, with a focus on growth. As part of our design team, you’d be conceptualising, designing, and supporting the implementation of results-focused product features and optimisations of core parts of our customer and visitor-facing experience.
How we work together
Working closely with the product manager, engineers and QA within a squad focused on metric improvements, your primary focus will be on squad initiatives. You will act as an advocate for results-centric thinking, and supporting others in adopting this mindset. You will also have the opportunity to work with other members of the design team across the business.
You partner with product manager, researchers, developers, marketers to deliver a world-class user experience.
What you’ll do
- Gain a deep understanding of our products and customers, build empathy with users and develop continuous discovery practices in your squad.
- Leverage data, insights and research findings to drive your design and experimentation choices. You’ll propose hypotheses and objectives on how to improve key metrics and solve for user needs. You will need to be comfortable with data in order to measure the impact of their designs, refine and improve.
- Use your experience, consumer psychology thinking and user research to create multiple concepts for design solutions to user problems and business problems, with the goal of improving key business metrics and customer happiness in Perlego’s core user journeys.
- Focus on the ultimate goal of improving key metrics like user satisfaction, conversion rates, retention rates, reactivation rates and driving SEO traffic or product virality.
- You will work with users to validate assumptions and iterate on designs before turning these concepts into development-ready designs and will work within a multi-disciplinary product squad to launch experiments to test their impact.
- Deliver high-impact user experience; from initial discovery and user journey mapping through to the execution of final UI design details. You’ll also support engineers with implementation of your designs, including final design review before release.
- Work with the design system, the support of our growth team and other designers’ feedback to reach final designs that have strong UX and UI, and are technically feasible
- Raise the bar of design excellency at Perlego. As product design evangelist, you’ll create and advocate for detailed-oriented, intuitive and accessible user experiences. You’ll support other designers in adopting a results-focused approach.
- Work closely with the Product Design Manager, PMs, data engineer throughout the process to shipping great designs and create the best possible experience.
- Foster a culture of impact, performance, inclusivity and happiness in your squad.
Typical projects you may find yourself working on
- Reviewing our customer acquisition journeys and making optimisations or major overhauls of pages where there are opportunities to improve conversion rates. Optimising our book page to increase our conversion rates.
- Optimising specific features, to drive more user engagement and therefore increase our retention rates.
- Re-designing the Cancelation flow, considering mechanisms to retain users or gather more details on why they’re cancelling.
- Creating the foundations for a referral program, from core pieces of functionality, considerations on where to encourage this, and customer communications.
What success looks like for this role in 12 months
1️⃣ In 3 months, you will have developed a full understanding of Perlego’s strategy and ways of working, and you’ll have started working with your squad to deliver against the roadmap.
2️⃣ In 6 months, you will work optimally with your squad, and have’ll an impact on company objectives, by generating ideas and shaping design experiments.
3️⃣ In 12 months, you will be consistently delivering high-impact products and driving results against our KPI and OKRs, by generating ideas and shaping design experiments & advocating the growth mindset to other designers.
Who you are
- A confident Product Designer 🚀 – with your 3+ years of experience in product design role (preferably D2C) you have shaped the design of world-class products in a fast-growing company. You demonstrate excellent product design skills with strong visual skills, creative thinking and design background. You are detail-oriented, striving for quality & consistency. You are an expert in behavioural design techniques and have a strong knowledge of engagement mechanics. You make well-reasoned design decisions, always advocating for the best possible user experience.
- Always user-focused & results-focused ⛳️ – you are highly analytical and data-driven in your approach to design. You’re driven by improving metrics, on customers and the business. You strive to understand our users, confident that customer-centricity is key to drive business value.
- A reliable and result-driven problem-solver 🧠 – you use data to identify opportunities, guide decisions and shape outcome-driven solutions, aligning with company objectives. You approach problems with a solutions mindset, thinking both critically and creatively, balancing innovative ideas with technical limitation and business needs. You work hands-on and have a sleeves-rolled-up mentality.
A highly collaborative and trusted partner 🤝 – you have experience with working in a cross-functional domain, collaborating with people from multiple disciplines and backgrounds. You are team-oriented and believe that building a product is a collaborative endeavour. You contribute to a healthy, safe and productive team environment through empathy, integrity and inclusivity.
- An exceptional communicator 📣 – you are comfortable with both writing and presenting to get your ideas heard and get consensus from a variety of collaborators. You believe in radical candour and can give and receive direct feedback to help things progress efficiently.
It’s a plus if you have ⭐️:
- Experience with A/B testing and experimentation
- Experience with user research and testing
- An understanding of Emotional Design
- You have experience with inclusive design and accessibility.
- Experience with Figma, Jira or other relevant tools
- Entrepreneurial spirit and experience in a startup environment
- Multilingual (with preference for another major European language)
- Have a general interest in education, reading and always learning new
Why should you work at Perlego?
Apart from our mission, we foster a unique company culture championing self-empowerment, personal development, direct communication and mutual support. We’re proud of our 4.8 Glassdoor reviews and the fact that 97% of our team would recommend Perlego as a place to work.
🌈 Benefits include:
✨ Salary range available: £45,000 – £60,000 + equity
We offer flexibility in where you work, choose between the office or remote* (currently working through what this looks like post Covid-19 but we’re keen to continue offering this)
🌱 Personal development
We value continuous learning, you will get £500 per year to spend on training of your choice
🧳 Work-life balance
Everyone needs a break, so enjoy 30 days off (incl. bank holidays) + 1 week over Christmas (or religious holidays of your choice).
🚲 Cycle to work scheme
We’re committed to building a sustainable business, so we encourage cycling to work. Perlego will buy your bike of choice, which you’ll pay back over 12-18 months.
🧘🏽♀️Health & wellbeing
We want everyone to feel healthy and happy, so you get the choice of a wellbeing subsidy or health insurance. You will also get access to a counselling support service via Spill.
We’re a tight-knit bunch who enjoy our time to play. We have regular social events and activities for everyone – everything from white water rafting to board game nights.
🍼 Family time
We believe family is really important; we offer new parents a competitive parental leave.