We’re searching for our first full time designer to join the Avela team! As an early hire at a growing startup, you have an opportunity to influence the vision of the product and culture we are creating together. This role is a good fit for a customer-centric, entrepreneurial product/UI/UX designer who loves ambiguity and wants to solve problems in education.
You’ll design our products from end-to-end, from user research to user experience design and interface design. You’ll work alongside our talented engineering team and collaborate closely with our lead product manager, but you must be comfortable operating as the sole designer.
- Design beautiful, delightful, intuitive software to help applicants navigate complex enrollment processes. Focus on accessibility, mobile-responsive designs, and best-in-class solutions.
- Create intuitive, highly functional interfaces for administrators. Expose highly complex matching concepts via a simple interface.
- Collaborate with the team and our clients to identify the right solutions and products to build. Quickly test hypotheses with prototypes and minimum viable products (MVPs).
- Assist with marketing design, including basic graphic design, iconography, and branding. You might also help with collateral design and layout, marketing website design, keynote presentation design, and more
- 5+ years as a designer working on web applications (SAAS), ideally B2B/B2G/B2E
- Experience going from napkin sketch to shipped product (0 -> 1)
- Comfort working solo and/or in a startup environment
- Extensive portfolio of designed and shipped products
- Design thinking and human centered design expertise
- Expertise in product mockup, wireframing, and rapid prototyping tools
- Expertise in designing high fidelity designs for engineering
- Customer-centric mindset and passion for education, equity, or social impact
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive, extraordinary comfort with ambiguity, enjoyment wearing many hats
Avela is an education technology startup focused on equity in education admissions and enrollment. We give enrollment, admission, and award officers the tools to make equitable decisions about the allocation of educational opportunities.
We work with school districts and charter networks across the country, including Oakland Enrolls, Tulsa Public Schools, Jersey City Board of Education, and New Orleans Public Schools. We also work with a range of nonprofits and NGOs, including Teach for America and the Inter-American Development Bank, as well as the US Military.
Our platform has four parts to cover each stage of the admission journey, from exploring options to applying and final selection and admission. Our flagship product, Avela Match, is used for running coordinated matching markets to assign individuals to programs, such as public school placements in choice districts. We also offer a range of consulting services to help districts implement enrollment reforms and advance equity in educational programs.
Learn more at avela.org.
Avela was founded by a renowned team of visionaries, including Nobel Laureate Joshua Angrist, Clark Medalist Parag Pathak, and social entrepreneur Greg Bybee. We have a passionate team of entrepreneurs, engineers, economists, and data scientists – get to know us at https://avela.org/team.
We are a flexible, fully remote company. We just ask that everyone work continental US hours to facilitate collaboration. #LI-Remote
Significant equity, passionate team, flexible work policies, home office stipend or WeWork membership, unlimited vacation, 401(k) program, life insurance, and platinum health benefits (medical, dental, and vision) covered at 100%. Learn more at avela.org/careers.