At Sprout Social, our business is our product. Our software is used by 30,000+ organizations to create stronger relationships with their customers and build the world’s most beloved brands. We have a relentless focus on solving hard problems for our customers, and our people and our culture are our competitive advantage. This approach has earned Sprout awards both for our software (G2) and our culture (Glassdoor).
Sprout’s Infrastructure group provides a reliable, secure, and efficient technology platform that empowers our wider engineering organization to rapidly, safely, and continuously deliver value to our customers in a sustainable way in order to meet Sprout’s wider product mission. As a Sr. Product Manager in our Infrastructure group, you’ll work with two teams of engineers (which we call squads). The Developer Experience (DX) squad and the Observability & Performance squad (O11YP).
DX is responsible for all the ways that developers work and release code at Sprout. They ensure that building, testing, validating, and deploying code is frictionless, safe, and secure. They also ensure that developers have access to best-in-class internal tools.
O11YP enables measuring all facets of software quality of the entire engineering org from top to bottom. They deliver metrics to other internal product teams to guide where each makes investments for improvement and verify they’re successful.
You’ll be a leader on a team of talented engineers and help set and execute the strategic vision for two of Sprout’s most critical teams. You’ll be responsible for defining and driving the product vision, strategy, and day-to-day execution. This includes leading all aspects of product development and product operations. You’ll gather insights from stakeholders across various internal product teams. You’ll also be thinking about how to measure the impact of your work and adjusting your plan based on what you’ve learned. This includes sharing your team’s plans, work-in-progress, and results with other product teams and any other partners vital to your team’s success.
Since our Product Managers are highly collaborative, we’re looking for someone with proven experience shipping real work into the world, in collaboration with a team of engineers. You should also have experience executing product roadmaps and creating plans to meet milestones and goals. This is a great opportunity to take your past experiences with product strategy, project management, and cross-functional collaboration, and blend them into a high-impact role for an award-winning product.
As a product-led company, it’s critical that we have the best Product Managers on our team. If you’re an experienced Product Manager, we’d love to talk with you!
These are the minimum qualifications that our hiring team is looking for in this role:
- 4+ years of Platform, Technical, or Infrastructure Product Management experience.
- Extensive knowledge about the Software Development Lifecycle, measuring healthy teams, and software quality.
- Experience driving product, strategy, and technical discussions.
Additionally, these are the preferred qualifications that would indicate a particularly strong candidate:
- Experience working as a member of an Infrastructure engineering team.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly absorb technical concepts and effectively simplify and communicate them to a non-technical audience
Within 1 month you will…
- Complete Sprout’s New Hire training program alongside other new Sprout team members. You’ll gain a broader understanding of our product and how your role fits into the organization.
- Partner with the Director of Engineering for Infrastructure to set initial priorities and align on expectations for your role.
- Start building relationships with engineers in your product team (we call them “squads”) as well as across the broader Product Management team.
- Try using the Sprout product yourself—to see it the way a customer does.
Within 3 months you will…
- Lead day-to-day product execution for your team delivering value every 2 weeks. You’ll identify project goals, write user stories, and organize releases.
- Understand the engineering behind the Sprout product well enough that you can predict some product trade-offs and ask your team productive questions.
- Learn the ins and outs of our developer tooling; including getting into the weeds technically.
- Establish credibility and trust across your team and key internal partners
- Collaborate with other product managers for cross-team problem solving and feature delivery.
Within 6 months you will…
- Begin analyzing our qualitative and quantitative research to start forming hypotheses about how our product can better fit our customers’ lives.
- Facilitate quarterly roadmap planning for your team and present the plan to the rest of Sprout’s product teams, including executive leadership.
- See a high-impact project through from start to finish. You’ll assume ownership for the results of your team’s product releases and how you learn from them.
- Identify key opportunities for improvement within your team
- Start developing a deep understanding of data. Begin efficiently accessing and analyzing the data needed using Redshift, SQL, Tableau, and other similar analytics tools
- Start establishing product strategy with the engineers and leadership
Within 12 months you will…
- Own your team’s performance against business goals and metrics
- Follow technical trends in the industry. Make recommendations on which new technologies to invest in or leverage.
- Own the platform and drive the technology roadmap to build scalable, maintainable, and reliable platforms.
- Be ready to help solve the next phase of team problems — including things we maybe haven’t even anticipated yet!
- Of course, what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for our team, product and culture. Our benefits program includes:
Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families
Progressive policies to support work/life balance, like our flexible paid time off and parental leave program
High-quality and well-maintained equipment—your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and mental well-being of our team
Ongoing education and development opportunities via our Grow@Sprout program and employee-led diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop and downtown Seattle, for those who prefer an office setting
Whenever possible, Sprout wants to provide our team with the flexibility to work in the location that makes the most sense for them. For those that prefer an office setting, this role may be based in our Chicago or Seattle locations. If you prefer to work from your home, we can accommodate that for many locations across the United States. We are not set up in all states, however, so please take a look at the drop down box in our application to see whether your state is listed.
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in our 2021 DEI Report.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. We’ll do all we can to ensure you’re set up for success during our interview process while upholding your privacy, including requests for accommodation. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social’s Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.