What We Are Looking For
Decent is looking for an inquisitive Director of Product Management to strengthen our product offering, grow and mentor the team of Product Managers and help bring affordable healthcare to all.
Who We Are
Decent envisions a world where everyone has the freedom to do the work they want without sacrificing access to affordable and comprehensive healthcare. We believe in our mission to offer more affordable health insurance options for start-up to midsize businesses by aligning incentives to improve health, reduce costs, and put members at the center of their care.
We help small businesses (2-100 employees) band together in a large group PEO and do their payroll, so we can save them 35% on their health insurance. We’re servicing a huge market need for affordable and satisfying health insurance (79 NPS vs. industry average of 19), and all of our plans include unlimited primary care via the direct primary care (DPC) model. We sell both direct and through brokers and have partnered with national broker distributors like BenefitMall and OneDigital (25K brokers) to offer the world’s first integrated health plan + PEO. We set ambitious goals around team NPS and believe building and maintaining a strong positive culture is the key force multiplier in everything we do.
Why We Love Working Here
- Decent is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives.
- We are a people first company and believe our success is defined by the success of those we work with.
- We don’t schedule meetings at least 1 day a week to allow our team to have focused work time and additional flexibility.
Our teams are remote; we work asynchronously and make space for real time collaboration as needed.
- We offer a fantastic compensation package consisting of a combination of competitive base salary + stock options, medical and dental benefits, career advancement opportunities in a small but quickly growing company, and take what you need PTO, including your birthday!
Value Proposition of the Role
- The Director of Product will work closely with the VP of Product to support the development of our product and company strategy, its portfolio of products, and the definition of our product practice, as well as hire, train, and lead a team of Product Managers.
- You can think of this as a player/coach role of a people manager, and practitioner acting as a product owner, and product advisor across the portfolio.
- We are outcome oriented—we’re focused on the impact our work has on our customers and our users.
- We believe in working together. Our product folks (Product Managers and Product Designers) work together with engineers, stakeholders, and whomever else they need to work with to ensure the right product is defined, prioritized and built.
How You’ll Spend Your Time
We will evolve this together as you get a feel for the work.
- Support hiring, lead a team, and facilitate their career development. This is an “in service of” role.
- Help define our product offering, best practices, coaching/supporting the team in applying these best practices, and aligning direction with engineering.
Product Strategy & Operations
- Identify product opportunities that will deliver user value and impact business metrics.
- Scope work in collaboration with other parts of our company.
- Run product discovery, conduct user research, and translate what is learned into work to be broken down for product development.
- Work with the VP of Product to create and manage the portfolio roadmap, align the team around it, and advise projects.
- Help guide the team to balance short-term and long term product strategy, and ensure effort is tied to our OKRs and aligned with our company vision.
What You’ll Bring
- Passion for our mission of bringing affordable health care to all.
- 7+ years of product and people management experience, notably on web-based products applying a version of agile/lean startup/user-centered design, including user research.
- Your bias for action, collaboration, lightweight processes, and tight feedback loops.
- Your approach to Identifying a product opportunity and bringing it to market
- Crafting roadmaps and managing a portfolio of products
- Understanding if you’re on the right track and your experience in OKR goal setting
- Evolving your perspective of the above and bringing a holistic mindset to product development
- Your ability to Be flexible and comfortable with ambiguity.
- Your job is to make what’s confusing clear, and transform incomplete information into an actionable path forward
- Quickly ramp up on your understanding of a new problem space in a complex domain
- Continuously give and receive honest, direct, productive, and respectful feedback
- Meet people where they are, and apply active listening
- Write and communicate well. We write before we share, give feedback on work asynchronously, and centralize meaningful information for the team to reference
Location: New York, NY / Remote