Who we are:
Join Embark on our mission to improve the life and longevity of dogs everywhere. Our canine DNA test — the highest-rated, most accurate on the market — enables us to make scientific advances in personalized pet care. Recently named one of the fastest-growing private companies in America by Inc. Magazine, Embark recently closed a $75M Series B from Softbank that shattered records in the Pet space. Embark is the only canine genetics company using research-grade technology, which allows us to make new scientific discoveries.
Designed by world leaders in dog genetics in partnership with Cornell University, the Embark Dog DNA Test provides information on genetic health risks and breed make-up, allowing dog owners, breeders, and veterinarians to make personalized care plans based on a dog’s unique genetic profile. Embark is also home to the world’s only canine DNA relative finder. No wonder The New York Times recently called Embark’s Breed and Health Kit the best dog DNA test available!
Interested in joining our pack? We are looking for highly motivated and mission-driven employees who will join us as Embark leads the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
The Senior Product Manager, Data Science Platforms is responsible for driving the roadmap, development, and measurement of Embark’s proprietary data science engines. Working closely with scientists and engineers who deliver the data inputs, the predictive models, and the calculation pipeline, this person will own the software development that enables our scientists to bring new data features into our product. This role is designed for a product person with an analytical background, strong understanding of complex, data-rich platforms, and a passion for productizing scientific research and discovery. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who has a background in product management to apply their knowledge at a hyper-growth startup.
Successful candidates will have experience working in highly collaborative environments with engineering teams delivering data products that scale.
The ideal candidate is data-driven, naturally curious, and has the ability to work collaboratively across functions. Experience in leading product management for a data-intensive product is required. Experience in biology, genetics, or pets is a plus.
What you’ll do:
- This person will have a tremendous impact on the quality of life for our scientific delivery teams, a critical piece of our product strategy
- Develop & drive data-driven learning agendas that validate product success
- Directly interact with internal teams to understand their challenges + build strategic roadmaps that align those users’ needs with business needs
- Identify, refine, and meticulously monitor KPIs to understand the health of the product and opportunities for improvement
- Innovate and incubate new ideas to improve scientific delivery and better our position as the best-in-class product in the space
- Learn new technologies and integrate knowledge of those technologies into a rapid, ongoing prioritization of the business needs, tying the tech architecture to the business, in deep partnership with engineering counterparts
- Deep partnership across teams, including engineering and other internal teams who utilize our prediction engine
What experience we’re looking for:
- 6+ years of experience leading product initiatives to great outcomes in a data-science-oriented product; plus if in genetics, other life sciences, and/or bioinformatics fields
- Provide data science thought-leadership and industry perspective
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills to influence across the organization
- Extremely proficient in data: owning KPIs, concepting instrumentation, performing complex ad-hoc analysis, querying databases
- Experience working at companies with agile and scrum development processes, helping to lead cross-functional teams
- Ability to quickly learn technical concepts & how they relate to a scientific user base
- Experience working with business stakeholders to refine roadmaps and achieve results over course of multiple-quarter & yearly projects
- Experience delivering software product to users and gathering feedback from them
- Ability to thrive and adapt in a high growth, results-oriented environment
- Deep passion for dog health
- Ability and enthusiasm for dealing with uncertainty and leading innovative product development.
What we can offer:
At Embark, we might be dog lovers, but we’re passionate about people too. We’re committed to building an inclusive culture where all employees can belong and flourish. Here are some of our benefits and perks:
- A flexible vacation policy so you can take off the time you need when you need it
- Paid maternal and paternal leave (plus paw-ternity leave for new pets)
- Every other Friday off each summer
- Dog-friendly office near South Station, Boston (when we get back to the office), with some flexibility (eg work from home at least 2 days a week, flexibility around child care needs, etc)
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized pet insurance and dog-walking services
- Startup perks with big-company benefits (401k match, a generous bonus structure, commuter benefits, top-of-the-line healthcare, HSA/FSA)
- Competitive salaries and equity participation — every employee gets stock options
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros, or laptops running Linux
- Continuing education, including attending conferences and company-provided resources to help with individual growth and development
Embark is an equal opportunity workplace and values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws. See also EEO is the Law.