The RAC is one of the UK’s most successful, recognised and trusted brands – providing complete peace of mind for the driving needs of over 13 million members in the UK. And there has never been a more exciting time to be part of the RAC team. We are entering a new phase in our journey and will be expanding our driving proposition as well as digitally transforming our member experiences. Our mission is to make owning, driving and looking after your car simple, straightforward and worry-free and we’ll make it all easy and convenient with our digital products.
With iconic sites in Birmingham, Bristol and Manchester and over 4,000 colleagues, the RAC offers real flexibility through hybrid working. The RAC is going from strength to strength with a significant new investment from Silver Lake Partners – a leading global technology investment firm – focused on investing in technology-enabled businesses with high growth potential. This partnership will see new levels of dynamism and a rapid pace of innovation.
As part of this exciting transformation, we are launching a brand-new Digital Product function within our business to help us create a best-in-class member experience, supported with increased investment and a structured programme of activities to accelerate our digital strategy.
We are looking for an experienced Technology Product Owner who can work indepenently, take ownership and deliver great digital experiences for our 13 million personal and business members.
- You’ll operate at squad level, leading a cross-functional team of colleagues, delivering exceptional products that help our customers manage their driving life
- The TPO is responsible for setting, prioritising, defining, and accepting work to deliver great digital outcomes to support the customer and business
- As TPO, you will gather feature requests, schedule releases, and coordinate sprints.
- Working closely with the Product Managers providing guidance to influence the product roadmap
- You are accountable for developing scope and defining timely and high-quality backlog items (epics/features/user stories) that drive the Agile software development team.
- You engage with internal and external product stakeholders to understand and refine the product vision driving and contributing to the product roadmap, outlining work in the Product Backlog, and prioritizing it based on business value.
Key role responsibilities:
- Build, own and manage a Product Backlog that is visible, transparent, and clear to all, and shows what the product team will work on next, providing clarity on the value it will deliver and alignment to the overall objectives and key results
- Define end-to-end user journeys to provide simple and compelling user experiences
Feed the design and development delivery engine based on personas, journeys, features, epics and stories – always staying a step ahead
Define acceptance criteria and validate the product delivery for robust implementation
- Support the architecture team to maintain a technical roadmap and sprint plan
- Support and drive the test automation strategy for each product release
- Managing expectations and competing requests from different demand teams
- Make product owner decisions necessary in daily scrums to advance the progress of all projects
- Solve product-related problems, make decisions, complete trade-off analysis to stay on track towards business deliverable commitments.
- Collaborate with stakeholders during the visioning and concept development of a product
- Define features & stories to support end-to-end customer journeys.
- Maintain and monitor the product backlog to ensure development changes are rationalised and prioritised.
- Define quality and acceptance criteria for product and process changes and ensure delivered changes meet the criteria, or work to define and agree on exceptions where required.
- Review and assess the impact of proposed product changes and provide documented assessments of viable options so that solutions can be agreed upon and defined
- Be a central point of reference for all technical changes related to the product, communicating clearly how changes can impact one another.
- Feed plans/sprints with requirements which may take the form of personas, journeys, features, epics and stories
Skills & Experience
- 2+ years experience as a Product Owner, ideally in a B2C environment
- Experience working in a modern agile Product Owner role.
- Experience developing a deep understanding of customer needs and translating them into clear product requirements.
- Experience developing and prioritising a product backlog
- Ability to analyse data, form hypotheses, and decide what to do next
- Ability to communicate ideas and technical content to different stakeholders, from engineers to senior executives
- Experience working in a transformation context within an existing, established business, having participated in establishing and progressively improving Product Ownership practices and processes.
- Proven ability to deliver solutions for programmes/ project(s) balancing time, cost and quality
- Ideally you will be BCS qualified (Int. Diploma in BA)
- Certified Scrum Product Owner qualification
- Detailed knowledge of agile requirements definition; requirements management, solution processes and associated techniques
- Experience using tools such as Confluence, JIRA, Trello or similar Agile project management tools
Our fast-paced and supportive environment will offer you lots of benefits
- a competitive salary and on target annual company bonus
- contributory pension scheme
- life insurance
- 25 days annual leave with the option to buy up to an additional 5 days per year
- free on-site parking across all 3 sites
- and free RAC breakdown cover
We also offer a range of other flexible employee benefits for you to choose from.