ProdPad is a Brighton based tech start-up and we are currently looking for a Product Manager to join our growing team. This role is a special one – you’ll be the product manager at ProdPad, the software for product managers (it’s very meta).
You’ll be front and centre of day to day decisions that can have an impact on ProdPad’s mission by solving interesting and complex problems that solve our user’s needs. You’ll do this by bringing features, experiments and ideas to life, through empathetic research, analysis, ideation, and prioritisation.
This is a new, permanent role, which is being advertised as our Head of Product will be heading off on maternity leave in the Autumn. We are looking to find a new colleague with a solid understanding of being a PM in a growing organisation, who is ready to learn “the ProdPad way” and run with it in the absence of our Head of Product. Of course there will be loads of support available – we have plenty of people on hand to give guidance and learn from, including experienced product people who are now in other roles.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious and resourceful individual who is eager to take ownership of the role, and gain invaluable experience along the way. Given our plans for growth, the experience gained while covering maternity leave will be vital in bolstering the department in the long term.
ProdPad is cloud-based product management software used by 1000+ companies, including people like Adobe, DWP, Autodesk, Mozilla, Amazon, Depop and NHS Education.
It’s a “software as a service” (SaaS) web tool designed to help teams build better products. By providing a single interface that collects all of the input from an organisation’s broad base of users (both external prospects & customers, and internal groups – like sales, customer care and development), ProdPad provides product managers a beautiful interface to organise their product backlog, build their roadmap, and send their requirements to development via any of our incredibly useful integrations.
As a company we’re constantly striving for the best product management practices ourselves, so you can expect to be a part of a truly agile workplace (continuous iterative improvement, not arbitrary deadlines!), building, learning and iterating on our product to make it better for our users with continuous research and weekly deployments in place so you’ll be regularly contributing to improvements to the product.
We invest in training, conferences, and whatever else you might need to get new skills and improve your own work. We also encourage personal development and allow time for R&D regularly.
About the Job
The reality is, building awesome products is really hard work and that’s why we at ProdPad exist to help unite Product Teams to build outstanding products. As a Product Manager in a product team you know how it works, all the moving parts to juggle, all the different people and processes involved, all the pieces, files, conversation that can get lost in the shuffle. These are the types of problems you will be looking to solve everyday. How can we build a system that not only unites all those moving parts and people together but also provides the framework for great product work to happen in an intuitive and delightful way.
This role will be reporting to our Head of Product (who will be on maternity leave from August 2022 so you’ll also be covering her over that period).
- A keen problem solver: you enjoy working on brand new challenges, thinking about problems in a different way.
- Empathetic: You’re someone who cares deeply about understanding other humans and their relationships with the products they use and the environment in which they operate.
- Commercially-minded: You understand our competitive landscape and can provide insights on how to keep us on top.
- You understand how to work in an Agile environment and can deploy features quickly and improve them iteratively rather than taking a long time over something 100% perfect.
- Data driven: You make decisions backed by data and evidence, not just a gut feel.
- User-centric: You’re passionate about our mission to radically improve the way our users build products and services.
- A great communicator: fantastic at communicating your thinking and product decisions – you’re able to get people along on the journey with you.
- A challenger (in a good way) – you don’t mind challenging the status quo and you’re good at zooming in while not losing sight of the big picture
- Innately curious – you love asking questions and digging in to find out the why (sometimes 5x)
This role will give you the opportunity to
- Work with key colleagues across the business to develop and drive solutions through conceptualization, exploration and user validation that makes the Product practice at ProdPad better.
- Work closely with our leadership team to understand and help set product level objectives. We use OKRs (Objectives & Key Results), alongside product roadmapping processes for both the product and our other business areas.*
- You’ll help communicate these objectives and map out the product path to these objectives with the rest of the team. As part of this, you’ll maintain and communicate the product roadmap.*
- You’ll be in charge of nurturing the product backlog and guiding on prioritisation decisions. This involves asking the right questions of the customers and experts around you, and making decisions on priority of work to be done.
- Formulate hypotheses together with our Head of Product and turn them into viable ideas, experiments and initiatives.
- Run end-to-end product processes for a variety of initiatives and ideas and work with our design team to validate/invalidate our experiments with users, using both qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Collaborate with designers and developers to reach high-quality implementations.
- Measure the success of your decisions with the team and iterate when needed
- You’ll do continuous product discovery, by talking to customers regularly to gather insight on how they work and how that might impact ProdPad’s direction. Our customers are product people themselves, which means they understand how important it is for us to listen to their needs and are really engaged.
- Contribute to product standards, documentation, and processes alongside your team members to further our product practice.
- Understand our industry/competitive trends
- We practice what we preach, and so you’ll join us in using ProdPad (and lots of other great team collaboration tools) to help manage the product.
This is not an exhaustive list. One of the many benefits of working at ProdPad is that as a rapidly growing company, there is plenty to put your stamp on within the organisation. If you have ideas – share them, you never know where it might lead!
*OKR setting and Roadmap ownership will be covered by you while our Head of Product is on leave. Once back she will retain ownership of these things but you will still contribute to their setting and measurement.
Desirable Skills and Experience**
You ideally have…
- A background in Product Management working with Product-led companies/agencies building and shipping software.
- Ideally you’ll have experience of working in a B2B environment
- A great ability to translate complex scenarios into easy to understand problems to solve
- A love of analysing user data and customer feedback to identify trends and improvements.
- Confidence in selecting, preparing and conducting various research methods best suited to the task in hand.
- You understand the importance of team collaboration, and have experience bringing teams together
- A passion for good design.
- You take part in the product community. Bonus if you’re have already spoken at events/meetups/conferences to share your product experiences, or even if you’re up for giving it a go.
- Proficiency/understanding of/with coding and coding environments. While you’re not expected to code, an understanding of how things are built and the technologies used is an added bonus.
** If you tick some of these boxes not all that’s okay! If you’re keen to learn we’re here to teach. Let us know in your covering letter why this is the job for you!
Salary: £40,000 – £50,000 per annum
In addition to a competitive salary, we will provide 25 days holiday per year (plus bank holidays). We also let you pick out your own kit and tools to work with along with all of the below:
🖥️ Pick out your own kit and tools to work with
🏥 Private Medical Insurance and Healthcare Cashback Scheme
💸 Pension Contribution
🌴 25 days holiday per year (plus bank holidays) and an extra 3 days holiday after 3 years
☀️ 4 day working week in the summer (for 3 months) at full pay
👶 Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Leave with pay
❤️ EAP Scheme
🚆 Season Ticket Loan
🤖 10% R&D time in sprints to work on personal development
⚖️ A great work life balance – We encourage “tidy time”, coffee mornings, walking meetings and any other way you can break from the norm to add some “feel good” into your working day
🌱 The opportunity to develop your own skills and role as we grow – we encourage learning and development in your field and are open to supporting your attendance at conferences, training days and other events.
There’s plenty more besides this, so if you think you could be a good fit, then get in contact!
Place of work
Our HQ is in sunny Brighton, 10 minutes from the station, 5 minutes from the sea and it’s where our product and development team can usually be found with a mix of in office and remote work encouraged across the team, at hours which suit both your individual needs and the needs of the organisation.
This is a full-time position and a hybrid role with a mix of remote and in office working with the ideal candidate having the ability to travel to our HQ in Brighton for in person meetings and workshops on a semi regular basis.
We value our diverse workforce, and strive to nurture and develop our inclusive work environment.
What the hiring process looks like
- 15 min hello with our Ops director + Head of Product
- Interview with some of the Product team (Zoom or in Person)
- Final Interview – meet the wider team