FreeAgent aims to remove the stress and pain of dealing with business finances. From the very beginning in 2007, our aim was to create a product that would make an impact and improve the lives of micro-businesses in the UK. Now FreeAgent is one of the UK’s most popular online accounting software providers, with over 125,000 customers.
Not to blow our own horn … but Accounting WEB even named FreeAgent the top bookkeeping product of 2020 and 2021. And in 2021 our mobile app was also voted ‘Client App of the Year’ by ICB LUCA. The list could go on!
It’s not just our customers who love us, our employees do too ⭐
Find out more on Glassdoor.
We believe in the power of a collaborative, high-performing, and diverse team. We’d love you to join us on our journey.
The role 👩🚀
This role sits within our Tax Engineering team whose mission is to help UK micro business owners and their accountants deal with all their UK tax and accounting obligations.
As a Business Analyst you’ll be working closely with the Product Manager to understand the technical, business, customer, and regulatory problems facing the business and help build and define the requirements for future projects. You’ll take a problem our users face or an opportunity we have, and analyse how this may work in practice, ensuring it meets the users needs and any accounting rules where appropriate, and define the requirements for the feature.
This will involve researching, documenting, and communicating user needs and functional requirements, including accounting and tax rules where appropriate, to the team so we can successfully build new features to the highest standard.
Day-to-day, you’ll be responsible for:
- Understanding, researching, and documenting the key user requirements within the Tax Engineering domain, including accounting and tax regulatory requirements.
- Clearly presenting your research to the team in an understandable format that demonstrates opportunities, challenges and potential trade-offs.
- Working with the product team throughout the project lifecycle to ensure functional and regulatory requirements are being adhered to.
- Effectively scheduling and planning research requirements, taking into account different business, technical and product priorities.
- Working with engineering to create and validate comprehensive tests for functionality, including tax or accounting where appropriate.
- Assisting with testing new functionality and bug fixes.
- Acting as a subject matter expert and point-of-reference for other teams and departments in the business.
Ideally, you’ll have:
- A depth of knowledge in accounting and tax software and how customers engage with these workflows.
- A background in Accounting and Finance and an understanding of how Accountancy practices work day-to-day.
- Experience researching, analysing, and presenting data clearly and making sound recommendations based on your analyses.
- Excellent planning and organisation skills.
- A proven ability to influence and persuade, and work with, people of varying levels of seniority.
- An understanding and appreciation for user experience
It’d be a bonus if you have:
- Experience working with FreeAgent software
- Experience in a digital product business.
- An accounting qualification, such as AAT, ACCA, CIMA.
Annual salary £28,000 – £40,000 per annum depending on experience. If you’re a more senior practitioner in this area we’d still love to hear from you, as there may be some flexibility on salary for the right candidate.
We pride ourselves on creating a fantastic place to work, including (but not limited to!) the following:
- 33 days holiday (and an extra day for each year you’re with us)
- Flexible/hybrid working
- Private health care
- Life assurance
- 5% matched pension contributions
- Buy-as-you-earn share schemes
- Sabbatical leave (unpaid)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Wellness webinars
- Focused learning time and learning budgets
- Volunteering day
Our work life 👩🏽💻
We believe in a strong work-life balance, we don’t work long hours, and we have a fabulous Edinburgh HQ expertly designed for collaboration including high-quality A/V equipment to provide a great experience for distributed teams.
At FreeAgent, we support each other and operate a no-blame culture. Our mindset is: work hard, be nice to people, and the rest will sort itself out!
This is a permanent, full-time role (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm). This role will be based in our Edinburgh office, however, there will be an opportunity to adopt hybrid working, working under an agreed pattern from both the office and at home each week. Working from home is second nature to us as we have been championing remote working for 14 years.
How to apply ✍
We hire smart, talented people (like you!) to make FreeAgent even better.
Our application process is simple: upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you want to work with us. Our selection process includes:
- A phone call with a member of our Talent Team
- Two video interviews
We work hard to make the process straightforward, transparent, and enjoyable.
FreeAgent is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from people with varied backgrounds and perspectives. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, family or parental status.
Want to find out more? Email any queries to email@example.com