News Product Designers own design and user experience for The Times core products across all platforms.
We partner with Newsroom, Product and Engineering teams to create smart and meaningful product experiences that directly meet our readers’ needs. They will inform, entertain and inspire, connect people to what they care most about, and help them make better daily decisions.
We design holistically and encourage our colleagues to think beyond what they’re building today. We contribute to high-level product thinking while also developing interaction flows, mockups, and quick prototypes. We know when to apply established patterns and styles, and when to evolve them or leave them behind entirely for something brand new.
This year, we will work to 1) evolve the way we tell our stories to provide more guidance and context for readers, 2) develop new, experimental story formats, 3) create a deeply useful cross-platform homescreen experience, and 4) define and create successful personalized Times experiences.
This position is based in New York, NY.
- 3+ years of design experience (previous mobile work is an asset)
- Cross-browser and cross-device design experience.
- Able to provide samples of work that show complex and creative UX solutions, extraordinary visual design and solid information architecture
- Advanced knowledge of HTML and CSS techniques (both current and future).
- Strong visual and typographic sensibility, paired with a knack for shaping efficient and effective interfaces.
- Love giving and receiving honest, thoughtful feedback
- Believe that product and design decisions are inextricably linked
- Enjoy shipping small, quick experiments to explore validate your ideas
- Be curious, sharp, and aware; steadfast in defense of both the user experience and the editorial brand, but flexible in leading and balancing technical and business requirements.
- Enthusiasm – for designing and making great products and experiences, for current events and The New York Times – is critical. Able to communicate design effectively, regardless of the audience (engineers, PMs, executives, other designers, etc.)
- Comfortable, and even excited about, working outside your comfort zone.
- Unafraid to learn new things to take on a problem.
- Have an established, repeatable and shareable design process that encourages collaboration between other designers and product teams.
- A generous maternity and parental leave policy
- Competitive benefits package (health, dental,vision, 401K)
- A front row seat when Pulitzers are announced (we’ve won more Pulitzers than any other news organization)
- Diverse employee groups (Toastmasters, LGBT, Softball, Soccer, Running, Parenting, and many more)
- Tuition Reimbursement program
- On-site presentations by various professionals
- Access to behind the scenes presentations
Applications without links to portfolios/work samples will not be considered.