Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal.
Founded in 2017, our award winning, technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of over 250 across 4 locations.
Motorway is now valued at over $1 billion and is backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors, having raised £143 million in Series C funding.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth and help change an industry for the better.
About the role
User-centred design is in our DNA. We know the best way to create compelling, easy to use products that consumers love is to truly understand our users needs, wants and desires. We are looking for a User Researcher to deliver the very best experiences for users of our seller and dealer platforms.
You’ll be a champion for how good research can enable the best business outcomes.
- Meet with stakeholders and customers, be accountable as their objective voice throughout the research process.
- Develop well-crafted research plans, write user research screeners and discussion guides, lead and schedule user recruitment.
- Capture critical data using both qualitative & quantitative methods and translate user insights into actionable recommendations including summary reports for development teams and clients.
- Craft personas and journey maps to communicate insights across the design and development teams.
- Lead user testing activities, using testing tools and equipment for in-person and remote sessions.
- Continually find experiences that are digitally excluding (including blindness, mobility, speech and cognitive impairments) to drive change.
- Create regular playbacks of insights to stakeholders.
There’s no such thing as a typical day at Motorway and you may find yourself working across several projects but don’t worry, you’ll have a team of enthusiastic and supportive colleagues around you to share and support your work!
You can expect to be driving activities such as:
- Conducting primary research such as interviews, observations, field studies, diary studies, participatory workshops, surveys and usability testing.
- Organising and designing remote and in person qualitative research; creating screeners, scripts.
- Working alongside your colleagues in Design, Product Management and Engineering & maintaining relationships with external research vendors, agencies and facilities.
Our team comes from a diverse range of backgrounds and team fit is important to us. As an experienced UX Researcher we expect that you will have several of the following attributes:
- Ideally you’ve studied a discipline such as Human-Computer interaction (HCI), Behavioural Science, Psychology or similar, and possess significant professional experience as a User Researcher which can be demonstrated through work examples.
- You champion user research – you’re a skilled listener and excellent communicator who’s able to make detailed observations and connect the dots to form a story.
- You are used to working collaboratively with a lean mindset; you will need to coordinate across multiple channels with numerous stakeholders.
- You’ve had experience with e-commerce in general and research around purchase decisions.
- You are organised and able to sift through data to synthesise findings.
- A competitive salary
- Pension Scheme
- BUPA private health insurance
- Annual learning budget
- Enhanced Maternity/Paternity leave
- Motorway Electric Car Leasing Scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Hybrid working (approximately 2-3 days in the office a week) with the option to work from home for a month per year
- Regular social events
- The chance to join a rapidly growing company that cares first and foremost about its people
- The chance to work with an experienced and passionate team with a big vision
Equal Opportunities Statement
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.