The Spectator started publishing way back in 1828, making it recognised as the world’s oldest weekly magazine as well as a globally recognised and trusted brand and source of current affairs commentary. We work hard to maintain this position and we constantly adapt to the changing landscape of publishing. To help us do this we select the very best individuals who can creatively think and adapt while using their own unique experiences to great effect here.
We’re looking for a Product Owner who will help us take The Spectator’s digital output to the next level. We publish content on our website and apps, and have a successful stable of podcasts and video output too. We want a product owner who can both adopt these digital products and guide them to even greater success by harnessing the collective efforts of our internal stakeholders, and work with those same people to identify potential a new digital products roadmap.
Some key points for this role:
- Support the CTO in developing the vision for the growth of digital products within The Spectator, and defining an evolving strategy for the better use of our current technology.
- Prioritise the needs from internal stakeholders with feature requests and technical debt.
- Research and present prospective and relevant useful technologies that may of be of benefit to internal stakeholders.
- Manage the Product Backlog. Set expectations within the business through diligent communication about ongoing development and bug fixing, whilst continually adjusting priorities.
- Oversee development stages by planning, executing, and reviewing each product phases/sprints.
- Anticipate stakeholder needs and adjust product pipeline work accordingly. Maintain open dialogue with stakeholders to establish future needs.
- Develop user stories and use-cases as required.
- Act as primary liaison with all stakeholders with weekly internal briefings on progress and delivering clear instructions to technical agency partners and internal development teams.
- Evaluate product progress and assess product lifetime, adjusting strategies for development and support accordingly.
This role will sit within the Digital department at The Spectator, but the successful candidate will be expected to split their time between all relevant departments. The ability to build strong working relationships will be key to the success of this role.
Familiarity with WordPress (VIP), Parse.ly, Google Analytics, and general web, data, and mobile technology platforms is preferred.
We and our agency partners work within a casual Agile format, but any Scrum Product Owner Certification will also be preferred.
Working at The Spectator is a rare chance to be involved in an exciting, fast-paced, and well regarded print and digital publication. We’re not a huge organisation and we’re privately owned, meaning decisions can happen quickly and without layers of red-tape; we’d rather do than talk about doing, when it counts.
Please email your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your current salary and, if applicable, your notice period, together with a brief summary of why you would be suited to the role.
Closing date for applications is 25 July 2022. If you have not received a response from us by 4 August 2022, please assume that you have not been shortlisted for an interview.