Product Manager- Remote, UK
Optum, the fast-growing part of UnitedHealth Group, is a leading information and technology-enabled health services business. Our teams are dedicated to modernizing the health care system and improving the lives of people and communities.
Serving virtually every dimension of the health system, we work with a diverse set of clients across 150 countries – from those who diagnose and treat patients to those who pay for care, deliver health services, and those who supply the cures. Optum maintains operations across North America, South America, Europe, Asia Pacific and the Middle East. Our innovative partnerships provide technology and tools that enable unprecedented collaboration and efficiency. As a result, we can tap into valuable health care data to uncover insights and develop strategies for better care at lower costs.
About the Role:
Product managers articulate and lead product strategies that achieve business objectives, are technically feasible, and meet customer needs. They identify solutions that fit the market and guide a product team to deliver them.
At Optum we want our Product managers to operate at the intersection between business, technology, and user experience helping the organization connect business, tech, and user goals.
Optum product managers occupy a unique role within the product team. They need to be practical ‘doer’ types willing to roll up their sleeves and make product delivery happen. But they also need to be strategic visionaries who make tough decisions, define the product vision, and inspire their team towards success.
Define and align product vision
Product managers define the product vision, deciding what problem to solve, for whom, and when. They research customer data, market trends, competitive analysis, and product viability and feasibility information—and use their research to create a product vision that will delight customers and offer a high ROI.
- Focus on strategy, high-level research, and decision-making
- Being the product expert on the products you are assigned to work on, and being the source of knowledge on your owned workstreams (planning, documenting, functionality)
Understand and advocate for user needs
Product managers live and breathe user needs. The best product managers are in constant dialogue with customers—they try to go deeper into understanding the user experience and unmet customer needs, which can become the basis of new features or products in the future.
- Gathering and prioritising end user and external stakeholder insight to inform new areas for product development
Empower product teams to achieve great outcomes
Product managers are team leaders who try to bring the best out of every product team member. They will grow the product team, onboard new members, get the whole team aligned with the product vision and roadmap—and ensure they have the right skills and experience with product management tools and resources to make it happen.
- Managing and finding ways to meet requirements from various internal and external stakeholders; lead dialogues with internal stakeholders on the trade-offs between different requirements, sequencing and any trade-offs across customer groups
- Working with designers and developers to define user stories, manage the product backlog, and deliver to the specifications and requirements
Prioritise features and backlog
PMs face tough decisions around where to focus resources—they draw on user data to make informed choices about what the next tasks should be, whether fixing bugs, optimizing infrastructure, or developing new features. They weigh up user needs, business goals, and organizational pressure to prioritise the product backlog.
- Owning your products’ roadmap and inputting into the global product roadmap
- Creating product documentation for end users, technical partners, and sales
Communicate product status
Product managers typically take the lead on product team meetings (or scrums if you’re agile) to understand how delivery is progressing and anticipate any blockers. Job documentation is important—product managers meticulously document everything that happens, writing meeting notes, product specs, and test cases so all team members have a record.
- Supporting clinical safety and internal/external assurance processes for your workstream
- Listening to the market including awareness of competitors and trends in the market that could help shape our products to be more competitive
- Understanding of the commercial aspects of bringing your products to market
- Proven experience in a dedicated Product Manager role
- Undergraduate Degree
- Experience of taking user feedback and research and translating these into user stories
- Experience managing backlogs
- Experience in Kanban/ Agile practices
- Experience with product development / management / PX tools
- Knowledge and ongoing interest in the market and industry trends
- Prioritization skills, problem solving skills, and ability to focus on what needs to be done and where we can make trade-offs
- Ability to both zoom in on the detail, and be able to see the bigger picture.
- Working with JIRA and Confluence, or similar tools
- Operating in a cross functional team, and being effective without direct line management responsibility
- Ability to lead meetings and engage internally and externally to deliver on your objectives
- Excellent stakeholder management and communication skills
- A completer / finisher who likes to get the work done efficiently and to a high quality.
- Experience interfacing between product leaders, users, and tech/engineering teams
- Working in a product team with experience in managing legacy products and/or taking new products to market
- DDaT perspective
- Experience of working within constraints
- Financial Ownership
- Lifecycle Perspective
- Operational Management
- Problem Ownership
- Product Ownership
- Strategic Ownership
- User Focus
Please note you must currently be eligible to work and remain indefinitely without any restrictions in the country to which you are making an application. Proof will be required to support your application.
Already Fortune 6, we are totally focused on innovation and change. We work a little harder. We aim a little higher. We expect more from ourselves and each other. And at the end of the day, we’re doing a lot of good.
Through our family of businesses and a lot of inspired individuals, we’re building a high-performance health care system that works better for more people in more ways than ever. Now we’re looking to reinforce our team with people who are decisive, brilliant – and built for speed.
Come to UnitedHealth Group, and share your ideas and your passion for doing more. We have roles that will fit your skills and knowledge. We have diverse opportunities that will fit your dreams.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.