About SAGE Publishing:
SAGE is a global academic publisher of books, journals, and a growing suite of library products and services.
Driven by the belief that social and behavioral science has the power to improve society, we focus on publishing impactful research, enabling robust research methodology, and producing high quality educational resources that support instructors to prepare the citizens, policymakers, educators and researchers of the future. We publish more than 1,000 journals and 600 new books globally each year, as well as library resources that include archives, data, case studies, video, and technologies for discovery, access, and engagement. SAGE’s founder, Sara Miller McCune, has transferred control of the company to an independent trust, guaranteeing its independence indefinitely.
Our mission is building bridges to knowledge — supporting the development of ideas through the research process to scholarship that is certified, taught, and applied.
Product Owner Position Overview:
To maximize the value of the technology product resulting from the work of the agile delivery team. To ensure that the product backlog is created, analysed, defined and clearly communicated. To ensure that the backlog is ordered in alignment with the strategic objectives, business goals and reflects the priorities of the roadmap’s strategic direction. To ensure that the product backlog is transparent, visible and understood. To clearly communicate the value of what has been delivered.
Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities:
- Developing and communicating the product goal in collaboration with the Portfolio Product Manager and in alignment with the strategic objectives and business goals
- Creating, refining and clearly communicating product backlog items with stakeholder and technical audiences
- Ordering product backlog items
- Ensuring that the product backlog is transparent, visible and understood
- Ability to facilitate user story sessions and requirements workshops with cross-functional stakeholder groups and the technical team
- Make and clearly communicate decisions about the backlog
- Influence and empathize with stakeholders
- Manage and oversee product budgets to deliver desired outcomes
- Coordinate with other Product Owners to collaborate and agree prioritization of delivery objects
- Negotiate and resolve disagreement
- Motivate, inspire and coach teams
- Continuous learning of new business domain and technical knowledge
- Coordinate and collaborate with Portfolio Product Managers and other Product Owners
- Identify process improvements
- Adapt and explore as new needs are elicited and results are reviewed
Qualifications & Education:
- Extensive experience of applying product owner or business analysis techniques in successful technology teams delivering enhancements to enterprise application
- IT expertise and domain knowledge
- Experience of working effectively in globally distributed teams
- Experience of working on agile / Scrum teams
Product Owner or Business Analysis certification desired
- Familiarity with Microsoft Dynamics 365 CRM or other Sales or CRM systems desired
SAGE U.S. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Charter
SAGE Publishing is committed to being an inclusive employer where all individuals are treated with fairness and respect, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and partnership status, pregnancy and parental responsibilities, race, religion and belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
We believe that diversity is a cornerstone of a vibrant culture. We want SAGE to be an organization where the most talented staff and high-potential staff are recruited, have the opportunity to grow, and want to work. We strive to achieve a better representation of diverse talent at all levels, including leadership, across our workforce.