If you’re interested in this position, please apply here: https://hala.link/job-director-of-product-apply-mindtheproduct
Hala Systems, Inc. is a social enterprise working to transform the nature of protection and accountability in the world’s toughest places by democratizing advanced defense, sensing, and artificial intelligence technology. Hala is currently saving lives, reducing trauma, and improving resilience for millions of people.
Our team works across the globe and hails from over 15 countries. We speak over 20 languages and have studied and worked in leading educational, business, research and government institutions. We are mission-driven thinkers, and we share a deep respect for each other and for the communities that partner with us.
We believe in innovation with purpose, focusing on developing real and applicable technology solutions to the challenges facing the planet. We believe in working ethically and collaboratively, and making decisions with transparency. We value flexibility, adaptability, and a good sense of humor.
The Product department is foundational to our future as a product-led organization. The Director of Product will partner with the other leaders of the company on setting the Product vision and will lead the work of the team responsible for effectively developing new innovative solutions from early-stage idea generation to successful launch and adoption. In addition, the Director of Product will use their broad skill-set to grow and lead the product team to success. The Director of Product will manage 4-6 direct reports and reports to the Chief Product Officer.
Hala is flexible with respect to the geographic location of this position. The yearly gross salary range is $145,000 – $155,000 USD for candidates based in the US East Coast, and €130,000 – €140,000 EUR for candidates based in Europe.
Ideally, candidates would be based in Lisbon, where candidates would have the ability to work from home or from the office. What is important to us is the availability to regularly meet in-person with Hala’s senior executives in Lisbon for at least 9 months of the year. For the remainder of the year, candidates are welcome to live nomadically between the US Eastern Time and Central European Time zones. In this case, the candidate selected will sign a Portuguese employment contract.
However, the position is also open to candidates based on the East Coast of the United States. Candidates residing there must be available to make relatively frequent trips to Lisbon. In this case, the candidate selected will sign a US employment contract.
We’ll trust you to:
- Drive strategic planning and management of the entire Product team.
- Develop the Product vision with company leadership and communicate this vision internally and externally.
- Partner effectively with C-Suite, Engineering, Analytics, Field Operations, and Business Development (BD) to ensure we validate, build, and launch products that customers love and value.
- Ensure that strategic product decisions align with business objectives.
- Create and present visionary innovations and strategic decision proposals.
- Foster communication-focused collaboration in the product-led cross-functional teams.
- Drive the creation and evolution of a thriving Product culture that fosters a keen understanding throughout the organization of how Product works.
- Evolve the team by defining performance standards and building the team as the organization scales.
- Provide clear feedback, coaching, and career development guidance for the Product team.
- Lead meetings with staff members to plan upcoming product development projects.
- Define and lead the development of Product processes to continuously improve efficiency as we scale.
- Identify and analyze market trends and consumer preferences to position our products in the market.
Who you are:
- Visionary with an exemplar ability to lead, coach, and mentor.
- Organized, high energy, and a track record of managing global product teams.
- An excellent communicator, able to interact at all levels externally and internally.
- Strategic thinker, creative problem solver, and strong analytical skills.
We’d love to see:
- 12+ years of relevant experience working in a variety of organizations (start-up, corporate, agency/consultancy), with 7+ years of people management experience.
- Track record of leading products from ideation to successful commercial outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and coach product management skills.
- Experience hiring teams in high-growth companies.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Affinity with Hala’s mission, and a passion for creating products that meet people’s functional and emotional needs.
What Hala offers you:
- Life-saving social impact.
- Competitive salaries.
- Unlimited vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it. All staff take a minimum of 22 days off plus holidays, including a mandatory 2-week vacation.
- Comprehensive, world-wide healthcare, dental and vision insurance for you and your family at no cost to you.
- Paid parental leave.
- Flexible working policy, including the ability to work from home.
- Computer and other office equipment to help you get your job done.
- Relocation assistance for you, your family, and your pets for eligible positions.
- A diverse, international community of dedicated, hardworking team players committed to interdisciplinary collaboration and a thriving workplace culture.
- Opportunities for international travel, including to program locations and satellite offices.
If there’s something important to you that isn’t on this list, please ask!
What happens next:
We will review applications and reach out to candidates advancing to the interview stage by the first half of August. You should expect a phone screen, followed by several interviews with team members and the supervisor for this role, concluding with the opportunity to speak with both of our co-founders.
You will receive a confirmation that your application was received, and you’ll also hear back from us whether you’re selected for an interview or not. Please note that we are unable to offer individualized feedback before the first interview round due to the volume of applications we receive.