About BBC Maestro
BBC Maestro is a venture funded start-up, working in close collaboration with BBC Studios. Our mission is to enable people to discover and hone their passions with inspiration from the most credible talent in the world.
We offer educational and inspirational video courses taught by the world’s most experienced creators, each one a Maestro in their field, including: Mark Ronson, Edgar Wright, Julia Donaldson, Alan Moore, Marco Pierre-White, David Walliams, Gary Barlow, Jed Mercurio, and many more.
Following a successful 18 months, we are now aiming to quickly scale our offering through new celebrity talent, new technology, and new team members.
About the role and responsibilities
This is an exciting time to join the business, with a solid and well performing cross-platform providing a great foundation from which to shape take the direction of design.
As Design Lead you’ll work across plans and initiatives for future expansion including;
- Features that help people learn through technology
- Mobile and TV Apps
- New interfaces for our video player, library and course notes
- New business offerings
You’re a generalist UI/UX designer who can work across the whole product lifecycle, to help shape the design of the platform, as well as grow and lead the design team who will support. Experienced across all research, design and testing phases, you have launched and developed successful products and design systems that have scaled.
Salary: £70,000 – £90,000
How we work
We are a collaborative and creative company working with agile methodologies. You’ll work closely with senior leadership and teams across the business and our designers to scope design requirements and evolve these concepts in the project work to form engaging strategic recommendations.
You are at your best when working with others and take delight in watching people and teams develop. You’re able identify knowledge gaps in workstreams, proposing and initiating design activities that help create user value and drive successful business outcomes.
- Represent the design perspective in the product roadmap and goal setting.
- Coach and mentor other team members to carry out design tasks, ensuring research and design assets are delivered to a high standard across the project work.
- Lead design methodologies across design deliverables, determining the right tools to deliver against the agreed outcomes.
- Prepare, design, and conduct research, and surveys to understand user needs.
- Visually communicate complex concepts and user insights clearly, through wireframes, prototypes, service journey flows, to develop the product direction.
- Design and facilitate design workshops that identify actionable insights.
- Visually communicate complex concepts and user insights clearly, through wireframes, prototypes, service journey flows, to guide project direction.
- Collaborate with a cross functional team of designers, technologists, content writers to create products assets
- Raise the quality of work by encouraging open conversations and giving clear and constructive feedback
You have designed well-loved SaaS products, across web and mobile, that have successfully scaled.
You are comfortable working across the breadth of UI and UX to deliver impactful products and design systems. You can rapidly prototype concepts to help progress the work. You have valuable experience within these area of design;
- Design systems
- Interaction design
- Information architecture
You demonstrate critical thinking across a breadth of current product design challenges
You bring decisiveness to problem solving and evaluate the impact of your decisions
You have designed successful scalable products and systems that are inclusive and intuitive
You have led the design process in cross-functional teams, across a breadth of contexts and deliverables
You have been successful in helping others develop their career; providing mentoring, coaching and direction as appropriate
You advocate a human centred approach in your work, to create positive outcomes for customers
You enjoy creating the conditions that allows great work to flourish
You can persuade others of the value of design through effective visual and verbal communication
You have facilitation and storytelling skills that bring concepts to life
Attitude and preferences
You enjoy working in a highly autonomous start-up environment setup. You are comfortable in being hands on in the detail as well as a taking a big picture perspective
You care about company culture and see your own responsibility in creating a positive work environment
You are adaptable in your approach; validating your decision and adjusting with new insights. You are constantly learning and sharing with others
You are up to date with latest industry trends and enjoy pushing the traditional boundaries of creative excellence to challenge the status quo
We are a remote first company that supports flexible working and knowledge sharing.
We ❤️ Diversity
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
We positively encourage applications from underrepresented groups.
We’re open to be surprised by skills, experiences, and perspectives we didn’t initially consider. If you don’t meet all the criteria but have some strengths that would send our marketing capabilities to new heights, then we would love to hear from you.