Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal.
Founded in 2017, our award winning, technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of over 250 across 4 locations.
Motorway is now valued at over $1 billion and is backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors, having raised £143 million in Series C funding.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth and help change an industry for the better. We are seeking a Lead User Researcher to help us create world-class experiences for our customers.
About the role
You will lead our research strategy and deliver impactful insight used by all of our Product Teams, helping us achieve our business goals and making a positive difference to our customers’ lives.
You’ll join a diverse, highly motivated team which includes one other User Researcher, UX Writer, Service Designer and several Product Designers. We’re proud of our collaborative culture and user-centric mindset and expect you will also be passionate about what makes people tick.
Some of the things you’ll be doing are:
- Leading one other User Researcher and help plan the future growth of this area.
- Coaching Product Managers and Product Designers on running day-to-day tests for ongoing projects.
- Owning and developing our research strategy which includes how we best conduct product discovery as well as how we best validate hypotheses.
- Working with our Service Designer and other Product Designers to map out and understand end-to-end user journeys across all touchpoints, identifying areas of inconsistency and opportunity.
- Running qualitative user studies, including interviews (in-person and remote), field observations and usability testing.
- Working with Data Scientists to identify insights through quantitative analysis of existing data sources and conducting your own large scale surveys.
- Communicating research findings widely, from presentations, workshops, and reports; you will champion the importance of good user insight and how it serves our business goals.
Our team comes from a diverse range of backgrounds and team fit is important to us. As a Lead User Researcher, we expect that you will have several of the following attributes:
- You’ve been hands-on throughout your career and have conducted many exploratory and evaluative projects; you know the appropriate method to deploy and when to deploy it.
- You’re confident enough to know the right level of research required to balance pace and risk – e.g. you’ll know when it’s okay to ‘launch and learn’ and when more thorough testing is required.
- You’re a natural collaborator and used to working in multi-disciplinary teams.
- You’re fully conversant with testing across web and native apps understanding different behaviours and mindsets inherent in each of platform.
- You’re a strong communicator, you understand the power of storytelling and how to bring research ‘to life’ to engage the attention of those you work with. You value collaboration and are at your best when you’re part of a team.
- You champion user research: you’re a confident advocate with experience educating and engaging team members and stakeholders on the importance of research.
- You know when and how to work with quantitative research to unearth insight and define metrics.
- You’re flexible in your approach and used to the different needs of high-performing product teams; you can juggle multiple streams of work and prioritise accordingly.
- A competitive salary
- BUPA private health insurance
- Annual learning budget with Learnerbly
- Enhanced Maternity/Paternity leave
- Flexible working (approximately 1-2 days in the office a week)
- The option to work remote for a full month each year
- Pension Scheme
- Discounted Calm membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- A fun working environment with regular social events
- The chance to join a rapidly growing company that cares first and foremost about its people
- Fast career progression and the ability to develop your own skills and experience quickly
Equal Opportunities Statement
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.