About the company
Meilisearch’s mission is to create a best-in-class search experience for every website and application. We are building a blazingly fast and ultra-relevant search engine made in Rust that allows our partners to have a powerful search engine without initial configuration. Features such as typo-tolerance, filters, and synonyms are provided out-of-the-box.
We are fully open source: we strongly believe the best way to realize our vision is to leverage the open source community’s power. We already have many integrations and SDKs to allow any developer to try Meilisearch in their environment quickly. We have a vibrant connection with our community of early adopters and builders. We are in contact every day and eagerly listen to feedback from our contributors.
We completed a $15 million round of funding in September 2022, and are backed by 6 leading international investors Felicis Ventures, CRV, LocalGlobe, Mango Capital, Seedcamp, and Vercel CEO Guillermo Rauch. We have already partnered with industry heavyweights like Louis Vuitton and Platform.sh.
We are a team of 30 passionate people and our project is growing fast (+10K GitHub stars in 12 months). We are looking for an API Product Manager with a strong technical background and experience with open-source to help us build the best possible open-source product and make Meilisearch the go-to search solution for every product.
About the role
As an API Product Manager, you will report to Quentin, our CEO, before reporting to Meilisearch’s future Head of Product, who we are currently hiring. You’ll be working very closely with Guillaume, Product Manager on the open-source product. You will also collaborate with Clémentine and Clément, respectively manager and tech lead of our Engine team, as well as the 4 engineers in this team: Maxime, Thomas, Loïc & Louis.
The search engine product development is a collaborative effort between engineering, design, developer relations, and documentation teams.
You will help us prioritize and define what to build in the upcoming months from a business point of view, in coordination with the rest of the team. You will focus on the engine product and the technical aspects that are brought in by our product cycle during the solution shaping and delivery phase. As an API Product Manager, you will support Meilisearch users in creating great search experiences while taking an active role in the product strategy.
What you’ll be doing
As an API Product Manager, your role will include:
- Prioritizing and defining which features to develop, according to the global product vision we have today,
- Writing, reviewing, and releasing API specifications workflow destined for developers in collaboration with other teams.
- Preparing, animating, and leading API Design Workshops.
- Supporting the Developer Relations team to elaborate its content strategy to reach our target in the best possible way.
- Using the Engine product analytics stack to help teams in their decisions making, problem exploration, and managing dashboards to follow success criteria.
- Making comparative studies of our competitors.
- As a Meilisearch team member, you will also:
- Help in supporting developers using MeiliSearch
- Participate in answering the community’s questions in Slack and GitHub
Some of the topics you could help us with:
-How to deliver value to our open-source users without degrading the intuitiveness and ease of use when it comes to solving complex business needs such as high availability, scaling, observability and security?
-How to scale our product feedback management process as our monthly active user base continues to grow and input channels increase? For example, every repository issue or any conversation within our community can be an interesting feedback to collect, process and share.
Our ideal profile – Soft skills
We are aware that the ideal profile for this role might not exist: if you feel that you don’t completely fit the requirements, but are interested in the role, don’t hesitate to apply!
Strong organizational skills. You can plan, manage your time and communicate to deliver projects;
Humble & with a thirst for knowledge. You are constantly eager to understand how things work and you are able to navigate in a technical environment.
Committed. You are passionate about user success and you like to solve complex challenges.
Self-driven. You are comfortable working autonomously and take initiative to challenge the way you work.
Our ideal profile – Hard skills
- 5 years of overall experience, 1+ year of experience as an API Product Manager
Strong technical abilities to understand and interact with our users (developers) and internal teams.
- Outstanding written and oral communication in English.
- Ability to translate complex feedback into actionable priorities.
Nice to have
- Prior experience working on developing a B2B SaaS – not necessarily as a Product Manager
- Experience with quantitative data analytics
- Experience in market research and competitor benchmarking
- Knowledge of UX design
Please send us your resume and a quick note of why you might be a good fit for this job. Don’t hesitate to have a look at our LinkedIn page, as well as our Meet the Team page.
Screening interview (30min): If your profile fits, you will be contacted for a screening call to briefly chat about your background and motivations, and confirm your availability and salary expectations -> 30min. If it doesn’t fit, you will get an email from us.
Hiring Manager Interview (1h): you will meet Quentin one of our co-founders and Charlotte, Software engineer. They will assess your technical fit with the role and ask you questions about your way of working.
Technical Assessment (2 weeks) + debrief (30 min to 1h): we will ask you to complete a technical assignment within 2 weeks and will schedule a 30/45 min to debrief with Guillaume, Product Manager, to evaluate your skills and give you a better idea of what working at Meilisearch could be like.
HR/value fit interview (1h): you will meet with Morgane, HR Manager, and Dave, Product Manager to speak about your experience,skillset and to assess your fit with Meilisearch.
In the same time we will conduct a reference check with 2 people of your choosing, who you are working with or have worked with the past.
Why you’ll enjoy working with us
– Permanent full-time contract,
– Stock options,
– We are open to fully remote applications, as long as you are between GMT-4 and GMT+5 time zones,
– 4 day work week & flexible working hours,
– If you’re working from home, we will provide either a stipend for you to equip yourself, or an access to Fleex (Europe). We also reimburse up to 500 EUR / month for your co working expenses,
– Access to a mental health platform (moka.care) + 6 sessions with a coach/trained therapist,
– 3 months paid parental leave,
– 6 weeks paid time off,
– Management training to freshly hired and newly appointed managers,
– We all get together at least once a year for a company offsite.
Meilisearch is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to develop an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our open-source community.