On average, U.S. students are with substitute teachers for 5% of the typical school year. That means our students have substitute teachers for more than six months of their K-12 school career. The problem? We’re suffering from a national shortage of substitute teachers.
Swing Education is focused on tackling the substitute teacher shortage. Our online platform makes it easy for great schools and quality subs to find each other. We help schools access more subs and offload tedious work associated with managing a pool of substitute teachers (recruiting, screening, payroll, etc.). Our network provides subs with a wider range of work opportunities to gain experience and build their professional network.
After more than 6 years in operation we are working with over 4000 schools in 7 states and have filled over 300k teacher absence days. We’re a post-series B company with about 50 employees currently and our lead investors include GV (aka Google Ventures), Owl Ventures, and Social Capital. We also have a strong commitment to diversity and our employees are 60% people of color (30% underrepresented minorities) and over 50% female. Our board of directors is also 75% female and 75% people of color.
We’re a diverse and inclusive team. We find it easy to get up in the morning and work for teachers, schools, and students.
We are looking for an experienced product manager to become a foundational member of a growing product team. You will partner with design, product analytics, and engineering to define and implement the roadmap for our core product. You will build business cases, implement, test, iterate and maintain features that will bring unprecedented technology to the school and substitute teacher marketplace. You will play a key role in developing the first truly technology-first platform for supporting substitute teachers and creating innovative experiences for schools and subs. Product-led will be the mindset you bring to solving problems for teachers and schools. You will also help us mature and scale our team, product, and processes.This role will meaningfully impact Swing’s mission to ensure that learning never stops in K-12 classrooms.
This will be a full-time remote position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as a communication hub and facilitate collaboration across teams and departments related to the platform
- Clearly articulate technical strategy and roadmap to senior internal and external stakeholders with ability to show the bigger picture
- Define the product platform strategy and roadmap while managing stakeholders throughout the organization
- Collaborate with cross functional team members to prioritize projects to align with business goals and drive customer satisfaction
- Implement Agile principles and methodologies, including owning the team backlogs, defining and prioritizing epics, features, user stories and other artifacts to support development goals
- Effectively utilize the Product Development lifecycle to discover, prioritize, and plan work
- Prioritize product roadmap with a balance of immediate needs as well as long term investments based on business priorities and strategic vision
- Work closely with developers, designers, stakeholders, analytics, and others in the product team to execute on the business objectives
- Analyze complex business and system requirements; construct workflow charts and diagrams; study system capabilities; write PRDs
- Effectively manage build versus buy processes; manage vendors; and make build/buy decisions based on business impact, requirements, and team capacity
- Coach team members on the nuts and bolts of product management work
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5+ years of product management experience
- 3+ years of experience in Agile environments
- Prior experience executing product roadmaps within a Product Development Lifecycle
- Has solid understanding of technology and the day-to-day trade-offs of software engineering
- Experience with data-driven decision-making and high analytical ability
- Proactive, entrepreneurial style, eager to take initiative in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships, collaborate cross-functionally, create formal presentations, and effectively run meetings
- Experience managing internal tools and vendor relationships
- Experience developing and running workshops a plus
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion in working with diverse groups and teams
Added Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to make decisions quickly and autonomously
- Detail oriented with the ability to organize, prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks
- Ability to work well in a fast paced, team-oriented environment and maintain a positive attitude
Salary is commensurate on experience and is adjusted for cost of living standards dependent on position location. Swing Education offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes the following perks:
- Medical/dental/vision benefits
- Generous PTO
- Paid holidays
- Parental leave
- Stock options
- Professional development reimbursement program
- Mission-driven work
- Fun, collaborative, balanced culture