We are Kong, the most widely adopted open-source API gateway. We have a world-class Enterprise platform and our mission is to facilitate a new revolution in software production by serving as the backbone of the distribution and consumption of data and services through APIs.
Our vision is to enable developers to build more and manage less. We’ve built one of the most popular pieces of open-source software in the world and in the process grown an extremely engaged and active community. We’re looking for a few great people who want to be part of a fun, highly-collaborative team.
Our ideal candidate is someone who will thrive in our environment of really smart, driven people, who get to work with many new, leading-edge technologies that solve large customer challenges. We’re looking for people who want to make a huge impact and have real ownership for the work they do. This opportunity is ideal for someone who wants to be in on the ground floor of our fully-funded and very special startup.
About the role:
We are looking for a senior product management leader who will hire, mentor and organize the product management team. You will also be the direct product owner of the Enterprise Edition of Kong Gateway, and associated features such as Developer Portal, Vitals and Admin GUI. You will help guide new product offerings in Security, Machine Learning and Cloud that Kong’s Engineering will embark upon this year.
- Provide guidance to multiple teams on associated features/products
- Be the Product Owner in two Agile/Scrum engineering teams – contribute to daily standups, regular planning and retrospectives, etc
- Manage the backlog for two Agile/Scrum engineering teams
- Work closely with development teams to remove uncertainty around product direction
- Be “the voice of the customer” for the Enterprise offering
- Conduct regular customer calls and meetings to inform our product direction from the buyer perspective
- Gather and analyze available product usage metrics, and prioritize the collection of additional metrics as necessary
- Define addressable market and expected revenue possibilities for proposed features along with the marketing department
- Create a product vision which allows the company to attain revenue goals
- Create a product vision and features that set the company apart from competition and aids sales and marketing
- Hire, mentor and assure the success of a PM team
- 6+ years of Product Management experience
- Open Source Software product owner experience
- Experience owning an infrastructure product line
- Product Management team lead or manager background
- Proven customer relationship skills
- On-premise, cloud and hybrid product background
- Demonstrated technical experience
- Marketing experience
- Experience working directly with Engineers and others in remote locations
- Machine Learning product experience
- Security background
- MBA and/or Computer Science degrees
- Stock options
- Your choice of computer and other equipment
- Unlimited vacation days
- Catered lunch twice a week
- Snacks and beverages to keep you going through the day
- Game nights
- Awesome medical, dental, vision plans
- 401k plan
- Fun happy hours and company outings
- A second family – whatever problem outside of work; we’ll be there!